• @Mdotaut801@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    21 year ago

It’s crazy how people just constantly buy the latest and greatest. I can afford it, I just don’t want to. I bought a refurbished iPhone 11 like 8 months ago, works great. Bought a 2021 MacBook Pro that was refurbished, works great. Literally just purchased a refurbished gaming computer with a 2070 that gets here this week, I bet it’ll work just fine. Do most people actually NEED the latest and greatest or is it more of a fashion or financial statement?

• @Stovetop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Personally I don’t think I could handle the device whiplash that much. I use my phones and laptops until they break or become unbearable. This year, I finally bought a new MSI laptop to replace my 2013 MacBook Pro which, other than battery issues, was still going strong.

I own a lot of different kinds of devices, sure, but I spend a long time getting my phones and PCs set up just right after I get them. Going through that on a yearly basis just seems needlessly stressful, to be honest.

• @Mdotaut801@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        11 year ago

I’m with you 100%. I like to fine tune everything so it works perfectly, in tandem, exactly how I want and need it. I really hate changing devices even though Apple makes it quite easy. I’m sure android does too but I haven’t owned one a while so idk. My girlfriend is the same way BUT she does like to stay with more current phone models due to camera quality. She gets a lot of use out of the camera, whereas I don’t but that reasoning makes some sense to me.

I have friends that are constantly upgrading their phones on these ridiculous payment plans through their carriers and putting their MacBooks or laptops on credit just to stay up with the “latest tech.” It doesn’t make sense, must EVERYTHING be on a payment plan? If you can’t buy a device then and there with cash, and you aren’t in a dire situation where you need to replace something (you should prob consider insuring your devices) then you can wait and save. Consider refurbished as well.