If you are like me, then you are a huge fantasy fan. It is easily my favorite genre and I have to force myself to read to read other books. But for this list, we will be staying with this genre as we share our list of the 21 must read fantasy books of all time!

• @stratashake@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 months ago

I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t think that’s it. The entire book was kinda milquetoast, which wasn’t a deal breaker. It was just underwhelming no matter was going on. I found myself interested in continuing the story, but I just didn’t really care about any of the characters by the end.

Contrast that with something like East of Eden or Crime and Punishment, which are favorites of mine. I’m about a third of the way through blood meridian, which is fantastic so far. I’m actually a huge fan of Vonnegut fwiw.

Good analysis on your part, but Gaiman just falls flat for me.

• @LonelyWendigo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

Fair enough. I liked the sequel, “Ananzi Boys” better. And if I’m being honest, recently I’ve become more a fan of Neil Gaiman reading stories than the actual printed word. And for what it’s worth, I’m also a big Steinbeck fan. Not sure I fully understand how a narrative could be milquetoast, but the protagonist of American Gods certainly was meek and easily dominated throughout.