• The Bard in Green
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -201 year ago

It has those tools. They’re called “Run your own instance.”

It lets you federate with whoever you want.

• @Die4Ever@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

This is not an answer that will work for growing Lemmy. Most people do not want to buy a server and domain name to use Lemmy, and then they gotta learn how to use Linux and docker and figure out how to get it all working? Most people don’t even know what Linux or SSH is. And then they need to read a huge list of instances to see which ones they want to block? And they gotta worry about keeping it up to date, and security issues, and watch the disk space usage. They would rather just stay on Reddit instead.

Also your solution still doesn’t address blocking/hiding posts but not comments, or hiding posts in the feed but still showing them in searches or in the specific community.

• AFK BRB Chocolate
      link
      fedilink
      English
      181 year ago

That doesn’t seem like a helpful reply. The vast majority of people wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to stand up an instance, and most don’t want to administrate one, but even if they did, it doesn’t address the issue in question. If I want to stand up an instance and be federated with a different one, but they have one community that’s problematic for me, I still have no recourse but to defederate from the whole thing. The suggestion was to provide admins with the capability to block a community at the instance level, and that actually does take care of the problem.