Politics is downstream from culture, as Andrew Breitbart once said.

• @SJ0@lemmy.fbxl.net
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Wish I could give more than one upvote given that the balanced view you present is obviously controversial amongst a Reddit crowd.

I think the other thing that maybe people need to remember is that there’s pretty much always someone further left than you, and there’s a good chance they consider you a conservative. There’s always another further out there idea, and in that way a lot of people who used to be lefties turned into conservatives simply by not picking up on the new thing. Then it’s guilt by association, instead of just being one tick less progressive, people end up getting tired with all of the worst brushes.

Another thing that is a reality that isn’t going to make a lot of people happy is virtually every culture has conservatives of some kind. There are conservatives in africa, and in asia – there’s a lot of conservatives in Asia in fact. There’s conservatives amongst the Jews, there’s conservatives amongst the Indians and in the Middle East. And not all of that conservatism comes from one place.

The world is a lot more complicated than people seem to think, and we’re starting to see that coming to fruition because not everyone who opposes Western liberal conservatism is a western liberal.

• @Whirlybird@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I think the other thing that maybe people need to remember is that there’s pretty much always someone further left than you, and there’s a good chance they consider you a conservative.

💯

This could not be more true:

I’m “liberal” and “progressive”. I’ve never voted for my countries “conservatives”, in fact I’ve voted for independants that many would call “far left” more than I’ve voted for our regular “left” recently. I voted YES in our referendum for gay marriage. I’m all for “gender identity” in adults if that’s what makes you happy.

I do not, however, think children should be given “gender affirming care”, so that makes me a “bigot”, “far right”, a “nazi”, a “trumper”, and a “conservative” according to those too far gone on the left. If you won’t let a kid get a tattoo then you shouldn’t let a kid cut any perfectly good body parts off, or stunt their body and minds growth with “puberty blockers” aka chemical castration. If you won’t trust a kids opinion enough to let them vote, don’t let them make decisions that are life altering.

• @SJ0@lemmy.fbxl.net
        link
        fedilink
        111 months ago

Lots of examples in this discussion thread. Zombies who don’t know they’re tearing everything apart.