• @hydroptic@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    1418 days ago

Google Translate is generally hot garbage. I’ve actually found DeepL surprisingly good especially with more “niche” languages like Finnish, although it does definitely sometimes get things hilariously wrong

• @hydroptic@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        18 days ago

Is that DeepL’s app? I’ve never used it so I have no idea what the UI looks like and I didn’t try to translate the sign’s text with the web version.

Edit: out of curiosity I tried out how the web version handles this sign:

• @Bagel5941@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          418 days ago

Yeah, it’s the android version.

To be fair, It looks like a problem with the OCR from the app rather than the translation. When I use the phone’s native OCR and copy/paste the text into DeepL Translate, I get the same result as you.

• @LwL@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        318 days ago

I distrust DeepL ever since I found out it translates “irritating” into german as “irritierend” (which means confusing, and is a common mistranslation for obvious reasons). Though I’m sure google translate does similar dumb things.

• @LwL@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            17 days ago

Duden apparently agrees but it’s a rare enough use case that I’ve never heard it used that way in my life, fair enough tho. Still not a great default tl but at least somewhat acceptable then.

• @LwL@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                217 days ago

Maybe, since I live in the north! (Fwiw the meaning of irritating as in irritating skin is pretty common here too, just not as annoyance).