• RubberDuck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    21714 days ago

I don’t understand why discord is so popular for communities. There is 0 permanence, and google does not index it so not even organic growth.

Discord is a black hole of knowledge except for the ai training companies.

• @SorteKanin@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      14 days ago

It attracts a different audience, so in aggregate it seems like your community is suddenly bigger because 1+1=2 right? What you don’t realize is that you’ve divided your community into two separate groups with possibly different wants, needs and cultures.

• GreatAlbatross
        link
        fedilink
        English
        713 days ago

Or that 50% of the users on the discord only went there to find one thing, and probably won’t ever interact again.
        So it looks like a bigger community, while losing accessibility.

• lemmyvore
      link
      fedilink
      English
      3014 days ago

It’s s great fit for people with goldfish memory span.

• @recklessengagement@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      713 days ago

Stopped using Discord a few months ago. Not for any specific reason, just felt like I wasn’t using my time effectively. Anyone important added me on Signal, and then I deleted the apps from my phone and computer.

I can’t put words to how much better my mental health has gotten.

This doesn’t really relate to your comment, I guess, but just thought I would mention it in case anyone else is considering taking a break from the platform.

• @Carnelian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        113 days ago

What did you do on the platform out of curiosity? I felt similarly when I left other social medias.

Discord I mainly use to keep an eye on early access games and dev updates, and occasionally ask or answer questions. Although I did get into it after deleting other social media so I may be subconsciously avoiding the more toxic parts of the experience

• XNX
      link
      fedilink
      English
      614 days ago

Because its very easy to use and does stuff no other platform does (make it extremely easy to voice/video chat with multiple people streaming screen and essentially make a forum in 2 clicks)

• @RaoulDook@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        3914 days ago

That’s all good but those features are not what makes a good discussion forum. This, what we’re typing on, is an example of a good forum.

• @Alk@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          1414 days ago

Some communities don’t need a good discussion forum, they need voice chat with a little text chat. Originally, discord was for gaming groups and it worked amazingly for that. Now, more communities are on it than should be, but its still a good feature set for gaming groups.

• lemmyvore
            link
            fedilink
            English
            113 days ago

If Discord would add wikis and improve its search it would freaking destroy everything else. It would be the place for everything a modern gaming community could want.

• @aStonedSanta@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            614 days ago

You can actually make forums inside of channels now if you are a community discord. But search is still shit lol

• lemmyvore
            link
            fedilink
            English
            113 days ago

People who use discord don’t want to use it like a forum. They want instant interaction.

If you think about it a lot of forum banter is just that, just because it’s slower and persistent doesn’t guarantee a higher signal to noise ratio.

If Discord were to add wikis so people can add persistent FAQs and guides it would cover 99% of its user needs.

• Zos_Kia
        link
        fedilink
        English
        414 days ago

Also their role system is badass. It’s incredibly fine grained and makes it possible to manage large communities with plenty of different user levels.

• @Buttons@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      214 days ago

Google doesn’t index Discord, which means the billion dollar ad industry makes little effort to push their ads on Discord.