cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/16725859

Rule

Alt text: a text post that reads: Work in retail long enough, and you’ll eventually realize the rules for dealing with Customers are exactly the same as dealing with the Fae:

• Avoid eye contact.
  • Never reveal your full name.
  • Accept nothing They offer you.
  • Never verbally agree or disagree with anything They might happen to say.
  • To apologize is to acknowledge a debt owed.
  • Under no circumstances are you ever to thank Them.
  • Remember that They are incapable of reading signs in human languages.
  • @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    417 days ago

I mean, that might be true if you don’t have any customer service skills. I did my time in food service, retail, and hospitality and I was good at my job because I broke pretty much every one of those rules.

• RBG
      link
      fedilink
      147 days ago

How long ago and in which country? Because it seems particularly the US is seen as a bad place for that and especially recently.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        36 days ago

It’s in the US, and it’s been a minute, but things have always been bad regarding customers. You just gotta know how to handle the bad ones.

• I can see these rules being applied if you worked at a fast food min wage or a supermarket as a stocker in a bad store. I’m referring to places where Karens abuse fresh wide-eyed teenagers hoping to change the world. In my city right now, there’s a bunch of places like that, like a Wendy’s in the hood or a Supermarket that has to lock up mouthwash. Its depressing.