• @trafguy@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    51 year ago

Mind if I ask where you heard liberals are jumping to that extreme? If you talk to random people on the street, I doubt you’d find more than maybe 1/1000 people expressing that view (and even that many would be surprisingly high).

The right wing generally doesn’t want people to gain new freedoms. Conservatism, fascism, etc. are hierarchical ideologies. They require people to exist in a chain of command, where lower status people are controlled by those with higher status. One of the biggest tricks used to keep people playing this game is fear. Exaggerated or completely false claims are made and spread amongst their base. “The left wants to take all of your guns!” “The left wants you to worship satan!” “The gays want to …” etc.

Generally, all the left wants is for everyone to get to live their life without arbitrary restrictions/judgement. If a news source is claiming that “the left” wants to control how someone lives their life, take it with a huge grain of salt. All too often, the bold claims coming from the right are distorted confessions. And if real people on the left are calling for a restriction, the intent is to apply it to everyone, themselves included, and there is a reasoned argument behind that conviction.

• @madcaesar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -211 months ago

I’m all for no restrictions, this whole discussion is mute if we’re talking about adults, I give zero fucks what people do with their bodies. I’m strictly speaking about children.