If I decide to self-publish a book what happens to the copyright? Is there a way to prevent others from claiming copyrights for a book published autonomously? Are there OS licenses specifically tuned for books?

• @GenderNeutralBro@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    319 days ago

https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/cclicenses/

You probably want the SA (share-alike) or NC-SA (non-commercial share-alike) but take a look and decide what suits you best.

From https://creativecommons.org/faq/#do-i-have-to-provide-my-name-can-i-ask-that-my-name-be-removed :

Do I have to provide my name? Can I ask that my name be removed?

As a licensor, you may choose to receive under any name that you wish, such as a pseudonym or pen name, or you may choose not to be credited by name at all, and to publish anonymously. You do not have to be credited under your legal name. Most jurisdictions permit this, but you should check to be sure this is valid in your jurisdiction.

• @delirious_owl
      link
      -99 days ago

Don’t go NC. Authors should be able to sell their work (and derivates too)

• voxel
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 days ago

the author can still sell the work, the NC prevents other people from profiting off of it without explicit permission (this does not prevent exemptions, work can still be sold under cc-by-sa as an exemption)

• @billgamesh@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        88 days ago

It’s useful as it makes it harder for AI to use it. Derivates can still reach out to ask to be allowed to sell it

• @delirious_owl
          link
          -28 days ago

We shouldn’t throw humans under the bus just to thwart AI. This is not the way.

• @delirious_owl
              link
              -18 days ago

And if you’re dead or incarcerated or otherwise uncontactable?

• voxel
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                8 days ago

copyright will eventually expire after your death

and cc nc does not prevent derivatives, just profiting off of them without explicit permission, which is not that big of a deal