• ShaunaTheDead
    link
    fedilink
    109 days ago

The easiest way to tell the difference is that monkeys have tails and apes don’t. Chimps are definitely apes and I’m not sure what OP is getting at.

• @dogsoahC@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      79 days ago

What I’m getting at is taxonomy. A valid taxon has to include all descendents of the crown group. That means that for monkeys to constitute a valid taxon, apes must be included. Same reason why birds are technically dinosaurs.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        79 days ago

A monophyletic clade must include all descendants. A taxonomic group itself can hold anything.

Viruses can also integrate DNA into cells and it sticks there forever sometimes, thus bypassing the tree entirely (making it a network, i.e. no longer acyclic thus no longer a tree).

There is a lot of weirdness in the world, stranger than people have dreamed.:-P

• @dogsoahC@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          59 days ago

Fair enough. I just belong to the people who require a valid taxon to be monophyletic. (Btw., “clade” already implies monophyleti…city? Monophyleticness?)

Also, shut up about viruses, they make a mess of everything and are beautifully chaotic and I hate them and I love them. xD

• @OpenStars
            link
            English
            28 days ago

I will never shut up about viruses - they are aliens on earth, or like something I dunno but they are so fucking cool!

viruses