• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    363 days ago

Somewhere between just 18-25% of veterans get the benefits they’re entitled to, and the VA wants to keep it that way.

It’s fucking disgusting

• BubbleMonkey
      link
      fedilink
      223 days ago

Technically I’m not even getting what I’m entitled to, I just recognize I get more than most of my comrades and until they get it I’m not pushing for myself.

Because you are right. It’s horrifying to go to a Va hospital, because the majority of people there are bitching up a storm because they aren’t getting care they should be entitled to. Wildly uncomfortable experience. And I don’t blame them and they deserve it way more than I do… but technicalities…

• @Maggoty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        143 days ago

Please go after what you’re entitled to. I spent nearly a decade getting shortchanged by the system and never once did I begrudge someone else getting their ratings. It’s just like back in the service, the only people who want you to not use your benefits are the bean counters.

• @PopShark@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          23 days ago

I am not a veteran but I learned this yesterday when I tried to get a new sling for my broken (but mostly healed) right humerus and found out insurance only pays for a new one every two years and out of pocket a new one at the hospital is $70 whereas a new one from a medical supply store is $20-$25 and what a surprise! The medical supply store doesn’t bill insurance. Fuck this country

• @PopShark@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              32 days ago

One brick and mortar chain I found near me is Binson’s but like the other poster mentioned you might get a better deal on Amazon or online elsewhere too

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
              link
              22 days ago

You can buy a sling from Amazon pretty cheaply. Walmart also carries basic slings for around $20

• @Carlo@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        53 days ago

Just wanted to echo what Maggoty said: please don’t hesitate to push for the care and resources that you’re entitled to. I spent years doing that after I got out—thinking that others deserved it more, and I shouldn’t be taking a slot that ought to go to them. I think lots of vets get into that mindset. Everyone has buddies that had worse luck than them. But the people you served with would want you to get the care and benefits that are your due. You deserve it.