Hi,

A friend wants to degoogle his phone, so I suggested the OS I’m currently using. The one we can’t talk about… He wants a small/compact phone, so I suggested pixel 4a (not buying second hand though), but I’m afraid that planned obsolescence may kill the phone rather soon. What’s your opinion?

Cheers and thank you for your help,

• @delirious_owl
    link
    12 days ago

TPMs protect the data on the drive if the drive is separated from the computer. If the drive is still in the computer, then it doesn’t protect the data. It doesn’t provide protection from physical attacks.

• @jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      12 days ago

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/hardware-security/tpm/tpm-fundamentals

Devices that incorporate a TPM can create cryptographic keys and encrypt them, so that the keys can only be decrypted by the TPM. This process, often called “wrapping” or “binding” a key, can help protect the key from disclosure.

This is how cell phones and windows hello justify short pins, the pin goes into a rate limited TPM that then discloses a larger key to decrypt the actual secret.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        22 days ago

Do you need me to link to the vulnerabilities of TPMs? They do not provide physical security.

• @delirious_owl
            link
            22 days ago

Hardware keys can be used well to increase your secuirty (U2F MFA) or used to increase convienence and reduce security (passwordless auth)

It depends how the tool is used.