I don’t know what a .webp file is but I don’t like it. They’re like a filthy prank version of the image/gif you’re looking for. They make you jump through all these hoops to find the original versions of the files that you can actually do anything with.

Edit: honestly I assumed it had something to do with Google protecting themselves from image piracy shit

• TheOPtimal
    link
    fedilink
    2611 months ago

JPEG-XL has been out for three years, and is better and more efficient than any other image format on the market. Google just has been insisting on keeping them off the web because they want to push WebP instead.

• Arobanyan
      link
      fedilink
      711 months ago

It’ll be interesting to see which wins out, .jxl or .webp

Place your bets folks!

• @WhyJiffie@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        111 months ago

I think webp has already “won”, because google refuses to have jxl support in chrome, the web browser most of the people use.

Apart from that, if I’ll have a website I’ll aim to support jxl and the old formats, but webp not even by mistake.
        Why? I think this is yet another thing with which google wants to be everywhere for this or that reason and I’m fed up with that.

• noobg
        link
        fedilink
        111 months ago

I’d bet on WEBP simply because it was first out of the gate. Even though JXL is likely a better overall solution, it might arrive too late to dethrone WEBP. I’m already seeing WEBP in lots of places.