„Inspired“ from https://lemmy.world/post/287146 and many related questions (also on reddit before).

Why don‘t people like opening Port 443 on their Homerouter? An open Port itself is not a vulnerability because nothing is listening on it, therefore there cannot be any connection established. When forwarding Port 443 From Router to e.g. The Homeservers LoadBalancer / Proxy, this Proxy is the final resolver anyways.

So why doing the more complex and more error prone Route via the VPS / Tailscale / CloudFlare?

I did that some years ago too, but just because i did not have an static IPv4 at home. But speeds were awful and i switched to Routerport + DynDNS and now everything is super performant.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    21 year ago

do you know for sure that nothing is listening on it? Do you scan every device you connect to your network?

• @jalim@jalim.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

This doesn’t really apply if you’re port forwarding to a specific device. In that case you know that you have told your firewall to forward port 80 & 443 (for example) to your web server and you know what ports that has open. I would not be using UPNP on the other hand as that seems dangerous especially in the IOT era.

• @nif@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Opening a port on consumer routers does not mean that all devices are open. Normally you forward a port to a host+port in the local network. In most cases some server which you control. All other devices are not affected by opening a port.

• @qwacko@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

I am confused by this question, if you forward a port then the only device you should be interested in is the device you are forwarding to surely? If you are worried about devices on your network, then surely since they are already on the network side of the router and so if they were going to do something nefarious then opening a port is the least of your worries.

Honestly trying to understand the point you were trying making.

• @Edo78@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

and, even if you scan them, how do you know that a port knocker isn’t there waiting to the secret knock?

• mirisbowringOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

I am Sure because the port forward is to a specific IP in my DMZ - therefor no one can just plug a device and open something