• @MisterFrog@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

I think the only way it can realistically work within the next decade is if all road construction is diligently recorded into a database and correct paths are predetermined and checked.

Thing is, I’m sure there’s literally millions of km of road across a country where the road designs only exist in a cad drawing, or some realllly old drawing, or not at all.

So basically, won’t happen this decade :P

Or ya know, build more autonomous vehicles that use tracks, like trains, or busses on predetermined routes.

• @irotsoma@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      711 months ago

Or build more trains that are reliable and come often enough and eliminate the need for cars in many areas and so significantly reduce the area needed to be mapped.

• @bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        411 months ago

Trains, trams, anything. There are always going to areas, especially in the US, that 100% public transit is a pipe dream, but we can certainly try. In my mountain town I’ve floated the idea of a gondola that runs above the main boulevard the length of the valley (~7-8 miles) and people look at me like I have 3 heads. The majority of our town’s services are along said road, as well as hotels and tourist hotspots, so it makes sense to me.

Problem is you get the old-school types that think “public transit” = “you’re taking away my car!” and it always goes nowhere.