I had two reasons, the first is because i found it way too easy to spend on my card without thinking, and the second because I wanted to regain a bit of privacy alongside everything else I’m doing. Ive set it up in my bank that on payday, an amount of my salary automatically goes to the bills account, some goes to long term savings, some to short term savings, then the rest I take out in cash.

It really does change my perception of spending I think: Ive found myself not buying things because I didnt want to break a note and carry change. I can physically see how much I have left. I can take £20 to the pub and leave when its finished. Plus it feels really good knowing every single transaction isnt stored forever. I have a small amount of money on a contactless ring for emergencies like a bus fare or somewhere that unexpectedly only takes card.

Is anyone else still predominantly using cash day to day?

• @delirious_owl
    link
    22 months ago

When I lived in Europe and North America, this is also how I bought most my groceries.

Except I used bitcoin because the monero gift card vendors are terribly insecure.

• @shortwavesurfer@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      22 months ago

Please elaborate on your claim of them being terribly insecure. It’s not something I’ve noticed, but I could be missing something.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        32 months ago

They send the card details over email. If you know of one that doesn’t, please let me know

link
          fedilink
          22 months ago

What do other merchants do? Because when I was still using Bitcoin back in like 2015, that’s what Bitcoin gift card merchants did as well. So what’s different these days?

link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Ah, fair enough. Do they give you the chance to copy and paste it? Or do you just have to screenshot it and be annoyed every time you need to enter it?

• @delirious_owl
                link
                32 months ago

Yes, its not an image. That would be terrible for blind people.

• @delirious_owl
                    link
                    edit-2
                    2 months ago

I use btcrefill and you get the code straight from the website. There is probably some JavaScript “click to unseal” button you have to press first, but then you can copy it the code to redeem. But honestly it probably depends on the vendor.

I’m not visually impaired, but I’d be curious if you’d find it accessible.

Do you sometimes have to request refunds from shitty sites that sell you something that you can’t use because its in an image without alt codes?