A film i have heard of and have been recommended but put off over the years, but honestly so glad to of watched it actually due to a chatgpt suggestion where i put a list of books and films and asked for a recommendation based on those items.

anyway im just glossing, in this thread we can recommend other media that relates.

Withneil and I - is a classic and a favorite of mine as well as George Orwell’s writings.

• carpoftruth [any, any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    271 month ago

It’s a great movie.

“we cannot allow a (whatever) gap!” is part of me and my partner’s meme lexicon for whenever we are comparing things or competing. I love that whole scene actually. The doktor calling Mr president mein furher first, rofl

• MaoTheLawn [any, any]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 month ago

There’s an incredible stage version of it that went on Broadway and the National Theatre in the UK. Bryan Cranston was the main guy.

Most film to theatre adaptations are uninspired money grabs, but the way they do it on stage is incredible. The amount of live screens and projections - the staging is just amazing. I actually didn’t really like the film, but thought the stage version was pretty good. That’s rare. I didn’t think I’d ever call a stage version of a film better than a film.

Its also weird seeing it remade but essentially word for word. Just a very interesting watch. I think National Theatre has a recording of it on their online platform. If they don’t they’re morons. Otherwise there’s clips of it on YouTube.

• @delirious_owl
    link
    English
    171 month ago

Oof, I wonder what movies chatgpt would censor itself from recommending.

• @delirious_owl
      link
      English
      51 month ago

That was the one film I didn’t like. Why do people like it so much? Are candle lit scenes enough to tolerate such a boring film about rich people?

• MaoTheLawn [any, any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

If you liked it, you could try Carpenter’s first movie Dark Star, written by the guy who wrote Alien. It’s a low budget space comedy with a bomb that can talk. The film is 20 minutes longer than it should be in the middle, because distributors required an extra segment for runtime sakes, but it’s so charming that I don’t mind.

I’ll also recommend Playtime by Jacque Tati, if you enjoyed Sellers’ physical acting in Dr Strangelove. It’s a satire of the modern metropolis. Kind of a sophisticated french Mr Bean.

Ooh! And ‘Songs From The Second Floor’ by Roy Anderson. Its a series of absurdist vignettes in a hollowed out dystopia. Very funny if you’re into that sort of thing - weird political satire that is. There’s a good bit about a revered military commander waking up from a coma and immediately heiling Hitler, for example.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeousie is also fun. It’s a surrealist satire of… the bourgeousie, told through a number of dreams within dreams. It’s pretty interesting but to be honest I wanted to enjoy it more than I actually did. Still, funny enough. I’ll rewatch it at some point I would imagine.

I could go forever to be honest. I love movies that make no real attempt at realism. Kin Dza Dza for example… Soviet era low budget sci fi satire. There I go again.

• anarchoilluminati [comrade/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    151 month ago

Dr. Strangelove is so amazing. I read it as a total anti-NATO movie. It’s clear Nazis were never actually defeated by the West but they, namely Dr. Strangelove, infiltrated the West at the highest echelons, instigated a nuclear catastrophe between the West and Soviet Union, thus wiping out the world and has successfully convinced the West to repopulate the world according to his Nazi racial eugenics—and the US is more than happy to do it.

• Castor_Troy [comrade/them,he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

+1 to the other person recommending everything Kubrick. Killer’s Kiss is one of my favorites. Eyes Wide Shut is also very worth watching, IMO. And then of course the obvious ones should be watched without mentioning.

Edit: I actually meant The Killing.

• Paulie [none/use name]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    131 month ago

Director Chris Nolan acquires rights from the Kubrick estate to remake 3 of his films, those are 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket

• MaoTheLawn [any, any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    121 month ago

Oh! One more, since you like Orwell.

Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. Just watch the trailer. I can’t explain what makes the film so great with words. I need hand gestures and facial expressions for that.

• Gosplan14_the_Third [none/use name]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Definitely, fantastic movie. Both the directing and Peter Sellers’ acting (shame he was kinda racist, because he’s a great actor).

I found it funny and depressing how 1960s brainworms seem to be basically exactly the same as modern ones.