• Use Oil Shell if you want a faster and more modern version of Bash that’s compatible with it and offers more modern oil language.
  • Use Zsh if you want better extendability and more plugins.
  • Use Fish if you want perfect out of the box configuration and a more modern (and less verbose for most cases) scripting language.
  • Use Dash/Ash if you want better speed and full POSIX compliance (no extension, no unimplemented features).
  • Use Yash if you want better autocomplete but still faster than Bash.
  • Use Xonsh if you want an awesome Python-based scripting experience and very nice autocomplete.
  • Use Elvish if you want a more modern scripting language.
  • Or use anything. Any shell will be better than Bash. Bash is slow, not POSIX compliant, and doesn’t offer Zsh/Fish level autocomplete.
    • huf [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      510 months ago

yeah, consistency is way more important than whatever pet features people want.

also, bash slow? what? it’s an interactive shell, the vast majority of time will be spent waiting for my input. unless you mean when you write scripts in bash? but surely nobody would do that when there’s perl…

• @MartinJezhykOP
        link
        110 months ago

If you use Arch, NixOS, or macOS, then you use Bash for running scripts. So speed is important.

If you talk about “consistency”, then you should also say that bash extends POSIX.

Yes, due to the perceived “standardness” of Bash, people write scripts in Bash with its extensions.

• Klara
    link
    fedilink
    410 months ago

I like bash, it’s very standard. If you need better autocomplete I’d absolutely recommend ble.sh, which gives you an experience more similar to fish, without having to relearn the entire shell.

Look, I’ve been a fish user for years and still use it on some machines, but there are always cases where I cannot install fish, or fish is incompatible with a program I use (even via bass) or a feature I use in bash scripting works differently. Of course, I can always fix it, but it’s always faster to just drop into a bash shell. I’m also much more familiar with configuring bash than zsh and therefore that’s what I use. That’s why bash is a staple on all my systems, even my BSD machines.

I think different shells are interesting and provide unique takes on what a shell can do, but telling people to stop using something that’s so ubiquitous and useful to learn comes off as grandstanding to me.

• @flashgnash@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    310 months ago

Bash is good and is standard. Have been experimenting with zsh but don’t really see the appeal

If I need to write a script that is too complicated to do in bash I’ll do it in python

• bitwolf
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

I still default to bash, but nu had some really cool features like a built in jq and several other formatters and pagers.

• SpongeBorgCubePants
    link
    fedilink
    19 months ago

Still using bash occasionally while mainlining zsh, it’s just one of the most ubiquitous shells out there.

I’d rephrase your post title to “Use whatever shell you like, but try not to write Bash scripts”

At least scripts you want others to use… and you are going to be very grateful in the future when you might switch shells

• Franzia
    link
    fedilink
    110 months ago

Thabks OP. Ive heard of zsh but I basically havent heard of the concept of using different shells. Certainly never used one, but I’ll try it tomorrow.