• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

I feel like that’s cherry picking, like I’m comparing the cheapest Dutch webshop price for a new PS5 and it’s € 549,99 vs the Steam Deck which is only purchasable through Valve’s store for… € 419?

Wait why tf do people buy PS5’s here‽

• amenotef@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

I haven’t even picked the LCD 128GB SD…just didn’t pick the option with max storage. Also haven’t picked the PS5P with the Disc reader…

But anyway. This meme is very specific (and pointless) and it is just targeting a minority who would be choosing between a high end console to play at the sofa on the big screen and a handheld to play anywhere.

I think the main SD group of people, is people who want a handheld, and that group of people generally choose between SD, Nintendo Switch, or other handhelds (like the Asus ROG etc).

Some would go with Nintendo because they just care about Nintendo games. But the majority is just looking for a handheld to play any good games anywhere.

To answer the last question. I have a PC, a PS5 and a SD. So some people who own a SD would buy a PS5. If I’m on my couch I use the PS5. If I’m at the terrace, or on a flight, etc. I use the SD.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

I get that but damn, between a Switch or SD who’d choose for a PS5?

I personally already have a Switch (since launch), so many great games on it, which dimimishes the SD’s selling point for me. Those two really do thread in the same waters.

• amenotef@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 days ago

Yeah and recently got an argument with someone saying that the SD was no competitor for the Switch.

In my opinion both are directly trying to fill a market where you can play games anywhere.

It’s true that Nintendo also has their own closed games that can only be played on their hardware (officially at least).

But beyond each console’s game library the need for having a portable console is a more important factor.