• @ravhall
    link
    223 days ago

lol no shit. Dozens of them are on here

• Diva (she/her)
      link
      fedilink
      -93 days ago

You can rest assured neither Putin nor Xi is paying my rent- believe me I wish they were

• @ravhall
        link
        43 days ago

So you do it just to hurt people eh?

• Diva (she/her)
          link
          fedilink
          -23 days ago

Are my posts that bad that they cause actual pain? I had no idea I was this powerful, sorry.

• @ravhall
            link
            33 days ago

Sorry means you stop. 🤯

• Diva (she/her)
              link
              fedilink
              -13 days ago

I am dialing back my posting energy 25%, it’s the best I can do until my caffeine wears off.

• @ravhall
                link
                13 days ago

You could use all that energy to look for a job

• FuglyDuck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        203 days ago

Why wouldn’t they be?

It’s not like it costs money to creat accounts, or post/comment,

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          3 days ago

This is a tiny place, and unlike reddit, there’s not enough history that you can just make bots repost old threads and comments or buy old accounts to generate fake histories without people catching on, and the admins of the instances would probably call it out if they noticed anything awry.

• @ayyy@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            12 days ago

You can repost the exact same screenshots of tweets in the fuck_{subject} communities one to two times a day and get showered in upvotes.

• Flying Squid
          link
          fedilink
          83 days ago

I don’t know… do they need to come from lemmy.ml when there are so many from there willing to do the work for them for free?

• @alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          -53 days ago

Would you show me what lead you to believe this? Do you have any evidence of an account whose actions are consistent with those of a bot? Say reposting old comments as a response to a repost to build fake history, or pretending to be one thing in one case and not others, or a sudden shift in content indicating the account was sold?

Or is it just easier to believe as it gives you an excuse not to examine your own beliefs?

• @archonet@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 days ago

I know we used to find common ground and reach across the aisle, and I just don’t know how we’ll ever get back there now, to be quite honest. In that way, the American political landscape in the last 50 years has gotten much, much worse.

I’m honestly not sure how much of that you can attribute to foreign powers vs. Ronald Reagan, Donald Trump, and Dick Cheney (off the top of my head – there are many more), but it’s interesting to think about.

• @orclev@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      123 days ago

Little of both. Ronald Reagan tilled the soil, and the later Republicans fertilized it. Why wouldn’t foreign disinformation groups sow seeds in such perfect fields?

A big chunk of the problem in US politics is the two party system enforced by first past the post. Very few people actually agree with 100% of either party’s policies, so the deciding factor for most people becomes either which party do I agree with more of their policies, or in some cases which policies do I feel are most critical and therefore drive the overall decision. This has been made even worse by Republicans strategically picking policies to try to drive a wedge in between them and Democrats particularly around certain hot button issues like abortion, gun control, and religion.

• snooggums
        link
        fedilink
        English
        113 days ago

Well, he was an actor. That helps with popularity in a setting where appearances are generally more important than substance

• @orclev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        53 days ago

He was very popular which made him that much more dangerous. His trickle down economics lie has done more to destroy the US economy than just about anything else. To this day there’s still people who feel it’s a viable model despite nearly half a century now of showing it doesn’t work. He and Nancy Reagan are also responsible for continuing the culture war against minorities that Nixon started.

• halfwaythere
    link
    fedilink
    English
    103 days ago

We are Americans… nobody can divide us better than ourselves!!