• @njm1314@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    516 hours ago

I heard someone say once that if this was Europe the Republicans would actually be three different parties and the Democrats would probably be five.

• @ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    921 hours ago

Or conservatives could just fuckin get with the times.

I have yet to see a single conservative from any country hold any values that don’t just hurt everyone.

• @reddig33@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    842 days ago

If she actually means it then she should be pushing for ranked choice voting. There’s no other way for politicians who aren’t part of the two major parties to win.

• @btaf45@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      023 hours ago

There’s no other way for politicians who aren’t part of the two major parties to win.

That’s totally fine. The short term reason for a new conservative party is to split the vote and insure the MAGA GOP cannot win. The medium/long term goal would be to replace the GOP as one of the 2 major political parties, just like when the GOP replaced the Whig Party. The way this would happen would be for a significant number of incumbant GOP senators and congressmen to announce they are moving to the new conservative party.

• @niktemadur@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    1 day ago

The results will not change until your toxic tail stops wagging the dog.
    By which I mean your online and 24-hour hysterical anti-news infotainment excrement factory.

• @btaf45@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      223 hours ago

A second conservative party that disowns Traitorapist Trump would be a political earthquake. Conservatives would then be 100% certain that MAGA is making them lose.

• @SynopsisTantilize@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        117 hours ago

Yea that’s what I was thinking. With the headline. Why don’t the sensable adult conservatives just move over to a new party.

• Maeve
    link
    fedilink
    342 days ago

They have one, they’re called Democrats.

• Match!!
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 day ago

maybe we can agree to bisect both parties at once

• @ravhall
      link
      edit-2
      1 day ago

Ooo, four parties? I like that. BUT they all get new names and no one is auto-registered.

Name suggestions:

• Conservative Traditionalist (god)
      • Libertarian (me, me, me)
      • Progressive (us)
      • Centrist (the rich)
      • @SynopsisTantilize@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        117 hours ago

Easier. Let’s just do political parties by financial status. But swaps representations to be proportionate to populace of each status.

70% representatives poor party 29.9% middle class 0.1% unobtainable dragon hording wealth.

• @ravhall
          link
          214 hours ago

We could always ban all political donations and ban superpacs. Money != politics

Lobbyists go to jail.

• @Makeitstop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    152 days ago

Trump has been hollowing out the Republican party and filling it with his minions for the last 8 years. If they lose this election badly enough, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some intense infighting and a big push to clean out a lot of Trump’s people. While it’s not inconceivable that you could see an offshoot try to replace the Republicans, I doubt it would happen. I think it’s more plausible that the die hard MAGA idiots that can’t read the room will get purged in favor of those who can at least appear to be more traditional, establishment Republicans. The party changes (as they do over time) but it doesn’t go away.

Of course, I think the most likely outcome is that any rise of more moderate Republicans isn’t going to be sufficient to fully dislodge the MAGA loyalists and you’ll just see a much deeper divide. Without pressure from Trump constantly crushing them down, the more moderate side of the party can probably be more effective in uniting against the extreme right wing, but not enough to fully take over.

• @btaf45@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      122 hours ago

While it’s not inconceivable that you could see an offshoot try to replace the Republicans, I doubt it would happen.

It really depends heavily on timing. If Trumpism fades almost immediately after the election, the GOP can probably survive. If not, there is a good chance of it being replaced. All that would need to happen would be 2 critical steps. (1) A few big conservative big names announce the formation of a traditional conservative party that rejects Trumpism. (2) Over the next couple of years a wave of incumbant GOP senators and congressmen announce they are moving to the new party to break free of MAGA. That new party might still caucus with the GOP but would have a huge amount of leverage over it.

• @btaf45@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      223 hours ago

The political pendulum always swings back and forth. We are way overdue for a big swing to the left.

• @Tinidril@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      132 days ago

That’s not usually how it works. Democrats serve Wall Street and Silicon Valley first, but make concessions to Main Street as necessary to keep Republicans from taking over. The less of a threat Republicans are, the less incentive establishment Democrats have to put the needs of voters ahead of their sponsors.

• @btaf45@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        023 hours ago

Democrats serve Wall Street and Silicon Valley first

Then how come Biden raised corporate taxes? How come every Dem voted against Trump’s gigantic tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy? Following the money cuts thru all the vague claims and bullshit and provides clarity.

The less of a threat Republicans are, the less incentive establishment Democrats have to put the needs of voters ahead of their sponsors.

That is the exact opposite of how politics work. The one and only thing that will result is a big shift to the left is for Dems to win over and over and over.

• JaggedRobotPubes
    link
    fedilink
    English
    52 days ago

Home run by Liz Cheney.

Ranked choice, alternative vote, single transferable vote, let’s do it.

• @SuperCub@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    -32 days ago

The way Kamala Harris is running her campaign (towards the right), I would venture to say they’re taking over the Democratic party. Kamala was really emphasizing her endorsement from the war criminal, Dick Cheney 🤮