For me it’s probably Jazzpunk, but I liked Disco Elysium too. I’ve been looking for something to scratch that “Jazzpunk surrealist comedy itch” for a while and not many games have come even close.

• tom5760
    link
    fedilink
    English
    4710 months ago

Untitled Goose Game comes to mind as a great “slapstick” game.

honk

• wmcduff
    link
    fedilink
    3410 months ago

I think it’d have to be Portal…mmm, the first one. I think learning about Glados the first time is a little better than the whole potato thing.

• @zuzu@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        1410 months ago

Whoa, do you remember any specific examples? I haven’t played since it came out

• Vodulas [they/them]
          link
          fedilink
          310 months ago

There are a lot of fat jokes, and they aren’t punching up at all. Don’t remember specifics since it has been about a year since I last played.

• @SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            310 months ago

But wasn’t that the evil AI very explicitly trying to psychologically hurt the protagonist and being really lame about it? I mean it’s the evil AI doing it and I remember the point of it being that fat jokes are lame.

• amio
        link
        fedilink
        510 months ago

This is a new take to me, anyway. What do you mean?

• @Reil@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            2110 months ago

I always sort of read those jokes as illustrative as GLaDOS being a bad person fielding weak material more than like, an earnest expression of the game writer’s values. Like, the game itself doesn’t present the remarks themselves as funny so much as GLaDOS being rude, snippy, and actively incorrect given that Chell is mega-fit.

• @LoamImprovement@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              1210 months ago

Yeah, that always came across as “I’m trying to neg you but I ran out of my best insults like an hour ago so I’m throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.” Same with the adopted joke.

• bermudaOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              10 months ago

I agree, especially considering Wheatley makes fat jokes the moment

spoiler

he takes over for GLaDOS.

• Vodulas [they/them]
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              10 months ago

I get that context, and I think that was for sure the intent, but they did not stick the landing. We already knew GLaDOS is evil. Casual fatphobia was not necessary. Plus the fact that some people won’t get that context or choose to ignore it and just think it is funny, as evidenced further down this thread.

Edit: The person saying they would replay it for the fat jokes was removed, so my last sentence makes less sense, but that was the reason I said that

• @SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                310 months ago

There’s an extremely long list of creative works made to be satire that idiots don’t understand. The Colbert Report, Starship Troopers, hell there are people that think Homelander is the good guy in The Boys. I think it’s a little too restrictive if someone can’t make a point that certain jokes are lame out of fear of how a few idiots might misinterpret it (many times deliberately). There are people right now arguing that the Barbie movie is actually “anti-woke”.

Also consider how many people actually did get the message. They heard how lame the jokes sounded and realized how stupid fat jokes are. From what I recall, the game really makes an effort to deconstruct these jokes. There is no audience within the game laughing at the jokes, and the evil AI explicitly states that it’s making the jokes solely to to negatively affect the protagonists psychological well being to prevent her from achieving anything. And the jokes are directed at the player, so someone that might have made these jokes themselves hears someone else directing these jokes at them and can hear how lame they are. The evil AI comes across as lame, petty, and desperate. Someone who made fat jokes before playing that game might have had the realization “is that how I sound?”

I feel like the people that didn’t get the context likely made fat jokes before playing the game, and would be making fat jokes even if they never played the game. So I don’t think there was any negative impact. Someone that committed to being an idiot isn’t going change in either direction from any kind of media.

• Vodulas [they/them]
                  link
                  fedilink
                  110 months ago

Like I said, I understand the context. I don’t need more of it.

Jokes like this and the other examples require either a very deft hand or an extreme level of satire. The jokes did not achieve either of those for me. The harm it causes by folks misinterpreting or ignoring context is not worth the people who get it. I have friends that would 100% understand the context and would still be made uncomfortable by the delivery. That to me is the best indicator to how well it aged.

Also, posting a wall of text full of ableism is also not a great way to convince me otherwise

• @AdellcomdoisL@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    3110 months ago

For a game that’s a full comedy romp, West of Loathing consistently ruined me with laughter. The spittoon descriptions are probably the most derangedly funny writing ever put into the world. I’ve got to remember to play the sequel one of these days. Its also extremely mechanically satisfying, with several enticing roleplaying moments (as well as the occasional dramatic or scary moment that hits just as well as the comedy)

For a game that’s not explicitly only comedy but still hits strong marks, Yakuza 0 is a full meal. While most Yak games are fairly wacky when it comes to sidequesting (1 being perphaps the single exception, as the beginning of the series was quite dry), 0 feels like the one where they really hit their stride. There’s so many flat out ridiculous moments (you’ve most likely seen the chicken, and that’s just one of many) that you even forget this is also a heavily dramatic story and a full blown action beat’em up.

• @SenorBolsa@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      710 months ago

If you liked that it’s based on a browser game called Kingdom of Loathing, the gameplay is not as tight or refined but there’s plenty to do and it’s pretty enjoyable to play when you have some time to kill on a work pc lol.

• @Four_lights77@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2710 months ago

Disco Elysium. It’s much more than funny, but it can also be really funny. Cuno is really funny.

• Coelacanth
        link
        fedilink
        810 months ago

It’s both the saddest game I’ve ever played and perhaps the most uplifting one. It balances the knife’s edge between nihilism and hope so well. It can also be hysterically funny, yes. It’s truly unique in terms of writing.

• Davel23
    link
    fedilink
    2010 months ago

I’d recommend Sam and Max Hit the Road. It’s older, and its sense of humor is a bit out there, but if you “get it” it’s great.

• @JCPhoenix@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

So many of those old adventure games were hilarious. The Monkey Island series, Day of the Tentacle, Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest. But I was also a kid back then (probably shouldn’t have been playing Leisure Suit Larry…). I wonder if they’d still hold up for me today.

• CrystalEYE
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

@JCPhoenix They definitely do! I replayed Sam & Max and DOTT on an emulator for my phone and played the remastered versions of Monkey Island. They are still awesome games.
        I want to add “ToonStruck” to this list as well. One of the funniest, weirdest games I ever played.

@bermuda @Davel23

• MrGerrit
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

Loved the deponia series, Rufus is just a great goofball.

“I’m like herpes. The cool version of herpes,”

• Orm
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

Yes! Sam and Max is wonderful! There’s something so perfect in the way they react with complete nonchalance to all the weird stuff going on. And the soundtrack is great too.

• @Tin@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    1810 months ago

I find the lack of Space Quest titles in this thread unsettling. For me, it’s Space Quest IV, but they are all absolute gems.

• @MrBobDobalina@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      910 months ago

Both of the Psychonauts games had such great writing, comedy is best when interwoven with actual substance and they nailed it

• bermudaOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      510 months ago

I know right? it’s so great I reinstall it every few months just to experience it again. It never really gets old

• MrGerrit
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

Never heard of jazzpunk. Just added it to my steam wishlist, interested to play it.

• @Helvedeshunden@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    1310 months ago

One game series that is not known for being especially humorous actually can be: The Halo games. More specifically the enemy grunts. If you sneak up on them and listen to their dialogue, their mix of faux bravado, cowardice and delusion of grandeur can be really funny. Especially because Master Chief is “The Demon” to them. A near-mythical monster. Just choosing the right time to reveal your presence to the grunts can result in comedy gold.

• @DLSantini@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    1110 months ago

Stanley Parable and Trover Saves the Universe are both pretty funny. I’m sure there are a ton of really funny games, but for some reason, they’re not coming to mind.

• 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒆𝒍
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

yeah, High On Life has similar type of humor to Trover Saves the Universe (same developer, both are Justin’s Roiland games)