• Flying Squid
    link
    fedilink
    8510 months ago

The labor advocate in me loves this. The historian in me hates it.

• TWeaK
      link
      fedilink
      English
      2810 months ago

Yes lol the people who built the pyramids were generally well paid.

The crazy thing is we still do things more or less the same way sometimes. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve helped move heavy electrical panels in through a door by rolling them along copper rods.

• @Shard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        710 months ago

And then to get it into its final position, we use these fancy things called levers to slowly ease the panels off the rollers and precisely jimmy them till they sit within the square we marked out using chalk or sometimes a rope we dipped in ink.

Oh how far we’ve come since those primitive days.

• @Kerred@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

Okay good I vaguely recall pyramid building but thought slaves had less to do with them than what culture shows

• @Rodeo@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          610 months ago

People are barfing that up a lot lately, but the only reliable source I’ve seen shows that the people who built the pyramids were being paid in bread and beer; that is, they were receiving the necessities of life, not payment.

Giving slaves the necessities of life and calling it payment to justify the slavery is as old as … well, the pyramids at least.

• @finestnothing@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            610 months ago

But… That’s… What a barter society does? Ancient Egypt didn’t have currency, it was a barter-based society. You don’t have a farm or land to grow your own food? You work for someone else to get food, or resources to trade for food, drinks, shelter, medicine etc. They were also given good cuts of meat and had good barracks/quarters to live in nearby villages while working there. Workers who died were even buried in well stocked tombs near the pyramids which was a place of honor, slaves would likely be put in mass graves, unmarked graves, and/or far from the pyramids.

What were non-slave workers (working on the pyramids or not) in ancient Egypt paid with if working for good food, drink, and shelter is only for slaves? A currency that didn’t exist? The profound pleasure of working for the pharaoh while having a farm of their own at home for food?

• Lifted_lowered
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

There was forced labor in Egypt but it was mostly agricultural. It was like corvee labor to build irrigation canals and dams and stuff, and it was how people paid their taxes basically

Edit: and just like in places with forced corvee labor today like Uzbekistan, you could pay your way out of it if you were wealthy enough https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/in-ancient-egypt-people-paid-to-become-temple-servants-674595/

Edit 2: Supposedly the state corvee in Uzbekistan ended March 2022 but I feel like people probably are still picking cotton a lot, they’re probably just getting paid now.

• SuperDuper
    link
    fedilink
    1510 months ago

Those lowercase a’s are really bothering me next to all those capital letters.

• Lifted_lowered
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1410 months ago

Ancient Egyptians didn’t have capitalism. At least in the dynasty where a lot of writing is from like this one scroll that was used to teach scribes writing so there is a fuckload of copies of it, they had a theocratic class system where social roles were pretty rigid. It was highly discouraged to not love your place in life. Like that writing exercise that archaeologists found is like basically copypasta about how cool it is to be a scribe, how you get to sit in the shade and not destroy your body to earn a living like the laborers must do. The cultures extant in ancient Egypt’s like 3000 years of history have been studied pretty extensively and pretty much every conclusion leads to the idea that social mobility through hard work or whatever of the kind promised by the capitalist Horatio Alger story was definitely not a cultural value in ancient Egypt, at least not a cultural value held by the people with the power to decide what got written down for posterity.

• @Rodeo@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      1710 months ago

It was highly discouraged to not love your place in life.

The rich are still trying to tell the rest of us that shit.

• @Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      610 months ago

Do you want to stay and build the pyramids (get some food and a place to sleep) or go try your luck on your own in the desert?

Slaves also didn’t do sharecropping, they were “paid” to do so.

No one knows what the implications were for the Egyptian “workers”

It doesn’t make sense to treat your workers bad because you get less work. They probably got a lot of food and water for energy.

But a lot of “workers” were poor when they started and were poor when they died.

Their labor did not bring wealth

• @StarkillerX42@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    610 months ago

I can’t get past how their transportation technique requires at least 1 extra person, but it seems like just the two guys.

• @RegularGoose@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      1210 months ago

It’s because no one is willing to work anymore.

They’ve got nothing but excuses. “I can’t come in today, I got the plague” and “my kid got eviscerated by a hippo, I need the day off for the funeral” and “this famine is making food unaffordable, please pay us more.” They’re all just lazy and ungrateful for the privilege of toiling.

• @gmtom@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        710 months ago

Fun fact, archaeologists have found what is essentially and ancient Egyptian clock in sheet, that had listed reasons why workers couldn’t attend that day and it included things like their wife or daughter being on their periods so they would take time off work to care for them.

So in some ways the ancient Egyptians were more progressive than we are.

• @banana_meccanica@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

This disease that is work, many people actually enjoy building pyramids for others, so those who own them happily continue to exist.

• @ooli@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      110 months ago

Dont know why you’re downvoted because you are pretty right.

People enjoy working it give them purpose, this is why capitalism (making more money from wealth than from work) last so long

• @Savas@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

This is like saying people enjoy breathing, this is why health insurance companies exist…

Agreed, people enjoy working, if by working you mean being productive, building, creating, especially inventing something.

You can have two worlds where in one there is manipulative people holding all the wealth, doing nothing or in another where it’s fair.

Sometime ago someone decided it’s easier to manipulate others to do something and a snowball effect occured.

• @banana_meccanica@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

I think didn’t like that I called this reality a disease. This purpose to build a pyramid of others for non-communal purposes is a serious and very widespread disease, so many people for a purpose are willing to become slaves.