• @can@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    4410 hours ago

All told, there’s now 400 community-owned broadband networks serving more than 700 U.S. towns and cities nationwide, and the pace of growth shows no sign of slowing down.

Some of these networks are directly owned by a municipality. Some are freshly-built cooperatives. Some are extensions of the existing city-owned electrical utility. All of them are an organic, popular, grass-roots community-driven reaction to telecom market failure and expensive, patchy access.

Cannot imagine happening in Canada but we desperately need it.

• @EldritchFeminity@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      188 hours ago

A lot of this started in the US because the big telecom companies were paid a lot of money by the government to roll out broadband in the middle of the country, where customers are spread out enough that they didn’t want to bother building the infrastructure, but they took the money and did none of the work. So, these communities did it themselves. Some of them literally burying fiber optics cables by hand through their farm fields.

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago about how this is feasible on the neighborhood level now at potentially better speeds and cheaper than the telecom companies with a satellite connection that people can use via a wi-fi network across the neighborhood.

• sunzu2
        link
        fedilink
        168 hours ago

I just hope every American knows this ain’t just telcos and broadband access. This is just an example of how the entire country is looted with nothing to show for it.

Internet is a basic utility we already paid for yet we must suffer bullshit inflation for something that was ready paid for…

• Fubarberry
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1910 hours ago

Definitely seeing that where I live. One of the local electric companies started offering gigabit fiber for $75, where most people were paying a lot more than that for DSL or low quality satellite (which were the only choices before). It’s been a huge improvement for those people, and it’s forced some of the long stagnant Telco companies to actually compete and start rolling out fiber of their own.

• @can@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            48 hours ago

Haha, no, just a monopoly, but that does make me appreciate the absurdity of it, thanks. Ironically being off the grid is the only alternative.

• @LunchMoneyThief@links.hackliberty.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        49 hours ago

it’s forced some of the long stagnant Telco companies to actually compete and start rolling out fiber of their own.

The fact that they failed to do so of their own volition is reasonable grounds to continue to avoid said Telco even after they’ve finally deployed fiber.

• Fubarberry
          link
          fedilink
          English
          39 hours ago

Right, but in my case I’m not actually a customer of the local electric company that offers fiber. However pressure from them got my telco company (the only choice I have besides satellite) to offer me fiber, raising my max speed from 3Mb/s to 1000Mb/s.

• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    2510 hours ago

Entirely separately from the message content, I find it so awesome to see the author acknowledge their potential biases right at the start! :-D

So much of journalistic integrity seems dead these days that I wanted to call that out as being good, even though it probably is mandatory, but even so… how many would actually do it?