• Belgdore@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 hours ago

It is fundamental to the democratic form of government that “rights are at the mercy of public opinion.” The other options are for rights to be at the mercy of capricious monarchs, dictators, or oligarchs.

• bl_r@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 hours ago

I mean, that is a definition of rights.

Rights that can be instantly taken away mean almost nothing. What good is my right to do something, such as be queer, when a bunch of cishet people can just say “alright, now you can’t exercise your right to be enby or trans or otherwise gender non-conforming, or be in a non-heteronormative relationship because a large enough portion of bigots decided you can’t.”

Those rights don’t mean shit unless they can’t be taken away. If they can, they are little more than privileges granted to us from cishet people because they felt bad for being oppressive.

• anticolonialist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

I don’t need anyone that watched a video of Palestinians getting burned alive tell me that they’re concerned about my rights. If a person’s concern for human rights stops at the US border they don’t care about anyones rights.

• ravhall
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Way to make everything about Gaza. We all know you can’t vote anyway.

• ravhall
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

No, you would take a conversation about apple pie and somehow make it about Gaza.

There’s a time and a place for that, and you insult LGBT people by shifting the conversation away from them when the post is about them.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 day ago

The same people screaming about protecting LGBTQ+ rights are the same ones that are saying we need to ignore what’s going on in Gaza and around the world at the hands of the US so they can protect their own privilege. a person either is concerned about all human rights or they’re concerned about none. And as an open and out queer, you do not get to dictate what insults me, or speak on my behalf and most likely on a group of people that you are not amongst.

• ravhall
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              18 hours ago

No they aren’t the same people. That’s actual insanity. No one saying “protect lgbt+” is saying “la la la nothing is happening in Gaza”

Oh boy. I know your type. The “don’t you tell me not to be a bad person!”

You’re the type to say “All lives matter” at a BLM protest, missing the point entirely.

I’m gay. I find your attempts to take the focus away from my problems—in this thread—to be insulting. The world has lots of problems. We don’t have to focus on one at a time. We can multitask.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                17 hours ago

You are saying you are gay as a race to innocence to try and defend that your attempt to overlook their rights to defend yours?

When I said ‘my rights’ it’s because I am gay.

• ravhall
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  16 hours ago

We are talking about lgbt. That is the topic. Stop insulting lgbt by trying to switch the topic to Gaza. I’m not overlooking Gaza. I’m capable of having two focused ideas. You are not.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Weird I’ve never seen you being super judgy about people based on literally nothing before.

• Media Bias Fact Checker@lemmy.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago
    LGBTQ Nation - News Source Context (Click to view Full Report)

Information for LGBTQ Nation:

MBFC: Left - Credibility: Medium - Factual Reporting: Mostly Factual - United States of America
    Wikipedia about this source

Search topics on Ground.News

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2024/10/lgbtq-rights-have-long-been-at-the-mercy-of-public-opinion-this-november-will-be-no-different/

Media Bias Fact Check | bot support