Through my years of mmo and rpg gaming I’ve tended to swing between the two extremes of the warrior/wizard dynamic.

Some days I just want to be a dumb tank in full armor soaking up hits and acting as a wall for squishier classes. But then there’s days where I love being a glass cannon that can kill something in 1-2 nukes but a strong breeze can kill me.

The least fun I’ve head with a class was as a healer druid in Everquest. Something so stressful about the party relying on you for heals and if you wipe it’s generally your fault. idk how people dedicate themselves to a class like that.

• frauddogg [they/them, null/void]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    17 hours ago

It requires a bit of finagling; I won’t bullshit.

Firstly, most of my fantasy settings have tangible, undeniable presences of divinity; some of which have those concepts of subjective honor and what have you as full-on domains. So you get the ones who are theologically zealous about it, but you also get the ones who are brash and loud for no real good reason.

Secondly, my settings tend to caveat that regardless of whether it’s used or not, all sapient beings have some manner of thaumaturgical current (be that arcane, divine, psionic, what have you) running through them. Even in those who don’t actively manifest it through evocations, conjurations, your typical wizard/cleric/sorcerer shit, it still winds up giving them the endurance to tank through it as a fighter or a paladin; or dexterity their way around it ala rogue or ranger-- so you wind up with a lot more of those types surviving what would typically be a very quadratic wizard anywhere else than you’d expect. (I can’t have a setting be ALL nerds whipping around Maximized Fireballs and Twinned Thunderbolts.)

EDIT: It’s just now occurring to me how much that sounds like ‘instinctive magic’-- which I very much believe would evolve into a populace that evolved any manner of thaumaturgical manipulation in their ancient pasts.

tl;dr the more brash, ignorant, and loud about ‘honor’ types are still wrong about it when their subjective sense of honor is predicated on “whether or not the foe is ‘using magic’” as the commons would call it-- they just don’t know how or why they’re wrong yet bc I have an aesthetic bias toward turn of the century steampunk/clockwork/magitek vibes; and I like leaving room for named-character innovators.