• cmbabul@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

For real, we’re in a tight spot here, Trump kicking the bucket before the election would probably be the best case scenario as it would no doubt reduce turnout among the GOP base and Kamala would wipe the floor with Vance. I’m terrified he’ll either actually win or otherwise steal the election through the court and then croak. We might get a civil war either way but it would somehow be even worse with Vance at the helm.

• Boddhisatva@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 hours ago

I’m not sure that Vance would be the presidential candidate if Trump dies in the next couple weeks. All the states have printed their ballots already, haven’t they? Trump is the candidate for president, not Vance. A vote for Trump after he is dead would not legally be a vote for Vance. I think Vance only gets the White House if Trump lives long enough to win or Vance wins as a write-in candidate after Trump dies.

• cmbabul@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 hours ago

Thats a logistical component I didn’t consider nor do I know what the mechanisms would be, extreme circumstances could lead to all sorts of things, but I also think the GOP would try to keep momentum by rolling with Vance.

• Boddhisatva@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

I agree, republicans would fight tooth and nail for Vance to be their candidate, but the democrats would also fight tooth and nail to void those votes as having not been for Vance. It would be one hell of a knock down drag out in the courts… oh, shit. /gulp/ …until SCOTUS stepped in. Crap.

• Passerby6497@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

I think that would be one of the worst case scenarios, since trump would immediately be made a martyr and it could easily rile up his unstable base into committing acts of terrorism in his name because the derp state poisoned his hamberders

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 hours ago

They could just as easily turn on Vance though for being power hungry. When cults of personality go they are just as likely to turn on the inner circle.

• Capt. Wolf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 hours ago

Ugh… And probably trying to sneak in Musk as VP, despite him not being a natural-born citizen…

• bitchkat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 hours ago

Maybe he retroactively get natural born citizen like he did with founder status at Tesla.