• FlashMobOfOne@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

like believing a prosecutor is going to stand with the citizens instead of supporting cops

Also odd that we’re one of the few states that jailed a killer cop. KC is paying for it though. Cops here are determinedly lax on the job right now, and word on the street is they’re unmotivated because that cop’s still in prison.

• snooggums@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Oh no, are they going to fail to investigate real crimes like usual but also harrass people leas often?

Sounds like a win.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

On a macro level, yes.

On a micro level, no. There’s been a lot more petty crime, especially targeting small businesses. The larger retailers can absorb those losses, the little local ice cream shop in my neighborhood that’s been broken into twice can’t.

Still, it’s important that cops be held accountable for murder, but I think Parson’s going to pardon the bastard once the election’s settled. They know it will be unpopular enough here in Kansas City that they can’t do it before, even if he’s a lame duck.

• snooggums@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

Is there an actual increase or a perception that there is an increase?

One anecdote doesn’t mean there is a widespread increase.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

That’s a good point.

For my part it’s a perception of an increase, but there are definitely things happening that haven’t been happening historically. For instance, this week there were five local businesses hit overnight in the River Market area. That kind of brazen criminal activity is unusual.

I can confirm that the Betty Rae’s Ice Cream shop has never been broken into twice in a six-month period, though, and that’s what got me frustrated.