My old 4790k finally died, and I need to replace both the CPU & MB. I was wondering if there would be any conflict in having an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU.

I want to use Bazzite on it. I’m running the same distro on my main rig and I’m very happy with it.

Any suggestions?

• Lucy :3@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Even Wayland works well on Nvidia now

Damn lies. Nvidia works like shit on Wayland and newer kernels.

• dan@upvote.au
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      15 hours ago

Working fine for me on Fedora 40 with a 6.12 kernel. You need to ensure your desktop environment is modern and supports explicit sync. KDE added support in Plasma 6.1, so Plasma 6.1 and Nvidia driver 560 or above should have no issues. I don’t use GNOME but they added support in 46.1 as far as I know.

One of my favourite underrated things about Wayland is that I could finally disable pasting when clicking the mousewheel. That’s so ingrained into XFree86/X11 that it’s impossible to disable.
      (disabling it only affects apps that use Wayland)

• MyNameIsRichard@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

It’s actually working mostly fine me now with KDE 6.2.1, kernel 6.11.3, and nvidia 5.60.something. I get janky scrolling in firefox but apart from that it’s been fine.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

I found that Firefox scrolling was janky even with X11 when using a mouse. You can turn off smooth scrolling in the options, and turn off kinetic scrolling in about:config (apz.gtk.kinetic_scroll.enabled).