• DrSteveBrule@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 hours ago

I’m in a class right now that requires a DMR locked live service textbook. I can only access it as long as I am connected to the internet. I live where 2 back to back hurricanes just hit so I expected to not have power or internet and wanted to copy some of the text from the textbook into a txt file. However, the DRM detects the copy/paste usage and limits the ability to only copy like 100 words. After a quick search I found out the dumb-asses that created this textbook site put all of the text in <p> tags in the plain html doc.

• keepthepace@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

Alexandra Elbakyan deserves a Nobel and a presidential pardon. I doubt any other person alive now has made more for science.

• J'Pol @lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 hours ago

I have never been anywhere close to academia, hell I don’t have a degree at all. However, I am very aware of the bullshit that goes on with publishing. Oddly enough, I occasionally need to read papers on material science or metallurgy.

From my limited experience and understanding, there is no journal for null findings. Isn’t that equally important? Tempted to just make something basic for that.

Anyway, to the point of the post - please seed.

• skillissuer@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

there are a few, but these are small and new, and most of the time null results are published along positive results, not on their own

you can mirror entire scihub repository, it’s listed as hundreds of torrents somewhere, each is zip of 100000 pdfs. i think it’s under 200TB

• blackbelt352@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 hours ago

Def email the researchers, so many of them would gladly give you access to their research papers because they also hate the science publishing industry.

• OpenStars
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

If you put an exclamation point before that, the image will automatically show up instead of needing to be clicked.

![Aaron Swartz Approves](https://i.imgflip.com/97bihv.gif)

Aaron Swartz Approves

Now you know, use responsibly!:-)

• BudgetBandit@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 hours ago

copy the link

open ChstGPT

Hey, can you please do your best to recreate this article with the exact words that are used?

• twinnie@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 hours ago

It’s crazy how entitled we all feel to free information and news nowadays. 30 years ago you would never expect a newspaper for free but now it wouldn’t even occur to me to pay for news. Then we all wonder why the news sites all only deal in crappy click bait.

• feannag@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

I think academia is entirely different from news. This is research often funded with public money where the article fees aren’t going to the author. Seems a lot more reasonable to demand that the public should be able to read it for free.

• T156@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 hours ago

And in some cases, the author also paid the publisher, so they’re dipping into things from either end.

• gigachad@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 hours ago

I literally pay money to publish my article. Do journalists pay for publishing an article in the newspaper or do they earn money?

• Maroon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 hours ago

It’s crazy how entitled journals feel to receive free content from researchers, extract free labour in the form of peer review, and then just slap their name on the content, and paywall the knowledge. The very knowledge that was generated from tax payer’s money.

Then they wonder why the academic community thinks poorly of journals and their lackeys.

• pseudo@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 hours ago

I don’t mind paying for news. I actually does it.
      But I do mind being tracked because I read some news. I mind paying for a content whose access will be restricted to me after some random time. I mind not being able access to knowledge payed for by public money especially when I’m trying to further that research in a way that will benefit to society at least as much as it would benefit me.