• WashedOver@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Unfortunately many customers in my industry are of the older age set and they aren’t glued to their devices or computers so the only way to get them quickly is by phone. That still works for immediately resolution of issues. I prefer email for the CYA aspect but some issues can’t wait days or weeks of back and forth. A phone call with that older generation is fast acting.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

some issues can’t wait days or weeks of back and forth. A phone call with that older generation is fast acting.

Again, the issue that they take “days or weeks” for email exchanges…

Modern workers are stuck to laptops, they see an email notification when it comes in.

But phone calls aren’t what the article says GenZ isn’t good at or even don’t like

Comments make more sense if you read the article first mate

• WashedOver@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

I’m speaking to #2 in the article and how some of differences in communication styles in my workplace that caused fiction between millennials and older Gen’s especially those in industry not sittings at laptops or into IM or facetime.

They are usually doing sales on the road or building things in their shops. The customer service team gets frustrated they can’t get instant answers by email but they won’t try other methods of reaching the customer. Phone is what I choose as it is the one thing we all have versus are they using and actually checking, texts, whatsapp, Telegram, signal, FB Messenger, Kik, snap, facetime, zoom, teams, google meet, twitter, Etc.

As old as phone is, it’s something that will cut through those other questions. So it’s not always generational it can be situational too.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 day ago

#2 in the article

This part?

A 2022 article from Harvard Law School explains that Gen Z workers entered the workforce during the pandemic. This generation began their careers when it was acceptable to send a quick text — something they are very comfortable with — instead of having a team meeting. They missed office facetime at a crucial point in their career development. This potentially created a gap in their learning and left them unprepared for industries where meetings, presentations and in-depth collaboration are the norm.

The problem arises when workplaces expect Gen Z to conform without offering any middle ground. This communication gap can easily lead to misunderstandings, mistakes or even the appearance that these workers are not engaged — when in reality, they are just using different methods to communicate.

That explicitly states over and over the issue is “face to face” and not phone calls?

If you’re still confused you might want to ask someone else, maybe I’m not explaining this well but I have zero idea how to make it any simpler.

• WashedOver@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            24 hours ago

Simpler is not the solution. I can’t help your confusion or with being hung up on phones versus face to face versus many other types of communication. Sharing my experiences over differences I’ve witnessed and navigated is just that, sharing.