• madnificent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 hours ago

I grew up online and there are people I’ve never met in person whom I can work with no problem. I have never had the need to see someone in person for work myself, but the click isn’t there for everyone.

I dislike generational thinking and this argument seems to play on those lines; I have seen some people working better remote and some working better partially in person regardless of their generation or background. Younger people are more fluent in working remotely but not everyone wants that full-time and sometimes it doesn’t work out too well either. Often working in the office is the worst so let’s make/keep remote the default.

My personal opinion is that we should do everything online which can be online and that people who need to work in person should do their best to cater for working online. It helps with climate and can help work/life balance.

Any form of communication gap is a shared gap. Both sides have to cater to make the conversation work. If OP needs face-to-face then that must be taken into account. If you want that conversation to happen you’d better care for their needs as much as they’ll care for yours. OP may have extensive experience in working with people and may have seen this need on their own end and likely on the other end too. Perhaps even only on the other end. On the spectrum of cooperation I’m sure there will be cases where it helps and perhaps even be necessary. I believe it’s a small subset of situations.

By all means, try to stay constructive and learn from others. Whatever they have learned in the past likely applies to our new ways in another form. I would like it if we could keep improving remote.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 hours ago

Mate, let me save you some trouble:

When the vast majority talk of a generation or any type of group, they’re talking about the majority and not every single one of them.

• madnificent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 hours ago

Mate, I’m not sure you’re making a convincing argument for remote cooperation here. When OP said sometimes, that is clearly the majority of cases in your book but I do read that differently.

Be kind and think of the other people in the conversation. If you want remote to work then act in a way that shows it does work.

Either case, best of luck in pushing for remote work! Cheers