• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Fun fact in the original Lovecraft mythos the Necronomicons were normal ass books that just happened to hold eldritch and arcane knowledge. Im sure anyone who has had the misfortune of opening up a copy of Wealth of nations or Capital knows the feeling.

• CitizenKong@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 hours ago

Well, normal is a stretch. It was still forbidden to read and written by a madman in his own blood, driving anyone reading it at least partially insane.

Lovecraft was basing it on The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers. The character itself also appears in the Lovecraft pantheon as Hastur.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

Pretty sure that counts as a normal college paper, but yeah it did have some secondary properties to it. But it wasnt bound in flesh or anything, plus by Lovecraft standards thats still pretty tame.

• CitizenKong@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 hours ago

I think it being a normal book on the outside is actually scarier. The knowledge in the book was dangerous, not the object itself.

I would never open the Book of the Dead from Evil Dead but I might open the Necronomicon if I find it at an antique bookstore or something.