Todd’s urgent dismissal of the documentary reads to Hoback like an attempt to throw Satoshi-hunters off the scent. “It doesn’t surprise me at all that Peter would go on the offense. He’s a master of game theory—it’s what he does. He has spent a lot of years now muddying the waters,” says Hoback. “He’s an unbelievable genius.”

I haven’t seen the docu, but I did like his (Hoback’s) docu about Qanon, Q: Into the Storm.

• kippinitreal@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

Hoback argues

In any case, says Hoback, the identity of the real Satoshi is a matter of public interest. “This person is potentially on track to become the wealthiest on Earth,” says Hoback. “If countries are considering adopting this in their treasuries or making it legal tender, the idea that there’s potentially this anonymous figure out there who controls one-twentieth of the total supply of digital gold is pretty important.”

Currently bitcoin or any block chain based currency is more of a grift than financial freedom. However countries like El Salvador have taken it up as official currency, so real lives can be affected by whoever holds that bitcoin stockpile.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

Sure. Counterpoint: there’s real billionaires with known identities fucking things up, and we aren’t doing shit about them.

Obviously, knowing the identity of one more isn’t that big of an issue.