• merc@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

If we assume that god, by definition, must be omniscient

Why must that be true by definition? Many of the Greek gods were clearly not omniscient, because the stories about them all involve intrigues and hiding things from each-other.

Also, you can’t disprove a god’s existence by making a logic puzzle that’s hard for you to puzzle out. Just because it’s a toughie for you doesn’t mean that it disproves the existence of gods.

That isn’t even a particularly difficult logic puzzle.

• J Lou@mastodon.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 hours ago

Self-referential paradoxes are at the heart of limitative results in mathematical logic on what is provable, so it seems plausible a similar self-referential statement rules out omniscience.

Greek gods are gods in a different sense than the monotheistic conception of god that is omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent. Sure, so the argument I give only applies to the latter sense.

@science_memes

• merc@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 minute ago

That’s not a paradox though, it’s a silly logic puzzle that isn’t hard to solve. It doesn’t prove or disprove anything about omniscience or gods.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

Man I don’t know if I’ll ever get over seeing Mastodon toots on Lemmy and all of the other wild cross-fediverse fun the Fediverse enables