• Psythik@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 hours ago

“Illegal immigrants” shouldn’t even be a term. They’re not “illegal”, they’re people. We need to knock this shit off and stop dehumanizing each other. Let’s do away with all this “visa” and “law breakers” nonsense, please?

I say we open the borders and just be done with this bullshit already, so we can all move on with our lives and focus on more important things, like ending homelessness.

• JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

No, they were born on the other side of a river and because of that they are not people.

• Manmoth@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 hours ago

I can’t go to Ecuador and just live there. I’ll get kicked out.

• Manmoth@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 hours ago

I have empathy. It’s just not expressed in the way you want it to be. Ultimately this is a humanitarian problem that shouldn’t exist but has snowballed into a massive quagmire that will require significant investment and policy changes. The most empathetic thing for the immigrant is to prevent illegal entry. If they have asylum requests they can come in through a port of entry. If someone comes in illegally there should be consequences since many immigrants did the lawful thing. Empathy is impossible with chaos. You have no idea who these people are or why they are coming. Many of these people are human trafficked and their families are under threat of narcos back home. The citizens of this country also deserve to be protected from unknown millions.