• saltesc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 hours ago

I guess suimg is part of the grieving process; right before.accepting your own guilt.

• tal@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      13 hours ago

your own guilt

Hmm.

I have a pretty hard time blaming Character.AI, at least from what’s in the article text.

On the other hand, it’s also not clear to me from the article that his mom did something unreasonable to cause him to commit suicide either, whether or not her lawsuit is justified – those are two different issues. Whether-or-not she’s taking out her grief on Character.AI or even looking for a payday, that doesn’t mean that she caused the suicide either.

Not every bad outcome has a bad actor; some are tragedies.

I don’t know what his life was like.

I mean, people do commit suicide.

https://sprc.org/about-suicide/scope-of-the-problem/suicide-by-age/

In 2020, suicide was the second leading cause of death for those ages 10 to 14 and 25 to 34

Always have, probably always will.

Those aren’t all because someone went out and acted in some reprehensible way to get them to do so. People do wind up in unhappy situations and do themselves in, good idea or no.

• Goldmage263@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

Agree. Not enough info for me to judge. Maybe Lemmings shouldn’t make this site into one for snap judgements and witch hints.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 hours ago

Ha. They didn’t want to parent before, so you can be sure that guilt is the farthest thing from their minds.

• Pandantic [they/them]@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

They literally brought him to a therapist when they noticed he was withdrawn and his grades were slipping, which is more than a lot of parents would do. Maybe they should have taken more control of his phone, but they were ignorant of the situation happening.