I’ll go first. After your turn the water off in the shower but before you get out, use your hands to wipe off any standing water on your body. Maybe even give your legs a bit of a shake. This way, you won’t drip nearly as much when you get out, keeping the floor and your towel drier.

• Fluke
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 hours ago

Amazing quality of life upgrade. It feels like a million bucks to have hot water instantly. However, when I looked into this for my home it seemed like it saves water at the increased energy expense of heating your pipes, right? For me it would end up costing more than living without it.

Do I have this wrong?

• fubarx@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

That’s why I put ‘timed’ in there. You can program when they shut off so it just goes back to the way it was before. Like when sleeping or out of the house.

A more fine-grain solution is to get a non-timer (cheaper) version of the pump, and one of those Alexa, Google, or Homekit compatible power switches, then not only can you set the time through a smart home routine, but can override them whenever walking out or coming back.

If using a traditional water heater, you’re heating the whole tank all the time. And with a tankless but no pump, you’re running gallons of clean water down the drain, waiting for it to get warm. It’s all a tradeoff, but this, at least, only heats the water circulating inside your pipes and only during the hours you set.