The best part is that fully half of these are addressed to my mom…

• wizardbeard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

Protip: don’t scribble shit out in screenshots. Too easy for people to figure out what’s underneath. Put filled in rectangles over whatever you don’t want people to see so there’s nothing that shows through. Most built in photo editors on phones have this functionality.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

“I’m just gonna vote for the last person that texted me” : the demo these assholes are targeting.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 hours ago

Fortunately Google messages filters all of it to spam and makes it very easy to toss whatever doesn’t get filtered into spam. Here’s mine from Wisconsin!

• PlantDadManGuy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

I find it kind of reassuring that at least our votes actually mean something to someone and the entire process isn’t completely rigged, otherwise no one would fucking bother.

• djsoren19@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

Nah it’s fine, see I don’t live in a swing-state, so nobody cares about my vote at all!

• ExtremeDullard@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 hours ago

You know, I have to say you’re right.

At this point, unless you have been living under a giant rock, there are simple, hard facts you can’t possibly not know about Donald Trump that should be unacceptable to anyone regardless of political leanings. It’s simply impossible to ignore them.

Therefore logic dictates that whoever votes for Trump today must agree with the Nazi stuff, the Trump Purge, shooting protesters in the legs, hanging vice-presidents or locking up former speakers of the house. I mean LITERALLY agree - because he LITERALLY said those things. Even MAGA people shouldn’t agree with those things: making America great again implies not destroying America!

Meaning roughly half of this country agrees with those things. If that’s not fucked up to the n-th degree, I don’t know what is.

• Visstix@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 hours ago

far right parties are the biggest in most european countries and it still doesn’t come anywhere close to how much it must suck to live in america. Who you vote for is nobody’s business, and this kind of spam is insane.

• Jay@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 hours ago

I’m not sure how many OP gets in a week but I get so. many. of these stupid messages. It’s usually about 3-6 a week. It pisses me off every time I get them. Luckily I have a message filter set up with just bare bones rules to filter out anything that contains “Trump” and “President” and that’s been working great. But the fact that I even get those messages is absurd to me. I’ve blocked at the bare minimum, probably about 300 of those numbers so far. It only keeps rising every week when I decide to look through my junk SMS

• Visstix@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 hours ago

That’s insane. The only message we get here is per mail, with information on where to vote and your voting card thingy. There might be some people near stores giving out flyers with information about their party, that’s about it.

• Jay@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 hours ago

I wish it were the case for us here too. I appear to be the main one in my family who gets it and sometimes it has a name attached that isn’t mine so it’s possible it’s from the previous owner of the phone number. But it’s still infuriating nevertheless that it exists in the first place. Just wish there was a “Don’t ever message me again under any other number” option.

• Kcap@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 hours ago

Finally, a chance to tell Mom, Andrew, Jeremy, and Doug, that they’re only important enough for a stranger on the internet to want to decipher their semi-crossed out names and nothing more!

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

The town name and state is also very easy to figure out, and you can easily verify it by checking where Musk will be holding a town hall today. For each of the most violently crossed-out words, D███ and C███████, there is just one first name matching whatever is visible. Yes, I copied and pasted letters from elsewhere and the width is correct.

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Did your mom also install a random sketchy app from the app store and click “Allow” when it asked to access her contacts?

Because my mom did, and I get all kinds of spam. 😠

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

Hard agree!

I downgraded to a pseudo dumb phone a few months ago, and it’s been life changing in all the best ways.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 hours ago

Personally I keep my installed apps to a minimum, heavily use Firefox on mobile with uBlock Origin, and heavily curate what’s allowed to send notifications and when, so my phone is quiet and not distracting but there when I want it/need it

• adarza@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

i don’t even do sms on my ‘dumb’ phone.

when the phone makes a noise, it’s either low on battery (or, if it was plugged-in, fully charged), an alarm or timer i set, or a very high probability of being a legit call (the carrier has reasonably-effective blockers for spam, bots and spoofed origin calls).

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

Totally respect that.

I tried a month of dumbphone but realized there was a minimum of “smart” I needed in a daily driving device. My compromise was a low-end smartphone in a flip phone form factor which is just smart enough for what I need.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

No idea what app it was. Mom was just like “my phone got hacked so i got a new one” and a new phone number with it. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• pdxfed@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

At this point it’s like the Onion article that they release after every school shooting about how nothing can be done to prevent it in the only country where it occurs regularly; the data raping and pillaging that goes on in the US despite other countries having passed basic common sense privacy and control laws…well too bad you can’t afford the lobbyists to pass it, Poor.

• Mango@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 hours ago

Oh neat, it’s just like how I can ignore the “don’t do violent shit” laws!

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

This is why I’ve started blasting the fuck out of every one of them. You do enough cursing and insulting, they tend to actually stop texting and calling. I got sick of having to tell them to fucking stop the spam, which didn’t work. But, amazingly, after a few days of going batshit on every one of them, they’ve stopped almost entirely. No texts at all in three days for me, though my wife and dad still get them.

• wander1236@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

I was pleasantly surprised to see Google Messages automatically blocks most political spam now. I’ve only gotten a few that slipped through in the past few months.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 hours ago

If my grandmother makes it to the next election I might move her to an android phone for this reason alone. Her iPhone doesn’t block the spam at all, and even appears to not have a way to delete the messages

• YtA4QCam2A9j7EfTgHrH@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

I’m in Missouri and I got one from some ghoul of a Republican today. It was very off putting. I fucking hate those fascist fucks.