• lazylion_ca@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 hours ago

I’m hoping once Harris takes office that she can improve the Isreal/Palestine situation. But I suspect for now she has to keep her cards close or she’ll lose some key support.

Politics has been an old-boys club for a long time. She probably has to tread carefully until she knows if she has a majority or not.

• boywar3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

I actually wonder if she has a different stance on Israel but simply will not/cannot talk about it because she is also the VP and it’s a “bad look to go against the boss,” so to speak.

• ayyy@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 hours ago

She’s a Democrat. She will follow whatever AIPAC says. It’s foolish to wish otherwise. The president is not a monarch and must pick a few key issues to make changes to. The rest is up to the legislature.

• boywar3@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

My musing is not the sole reason why I’m voting for Harris, but you are correct that it is not exactly up to her (which of course kind of undermines the continuous claims I see from people saying she could end the genocide right this second).

• gdog05@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      17 hours ago

I appreciate the optimism but Harris being elected is far from a foregone conclusion. Far, far. Between tricks and the electoral college, it needs to be a blowout to win. And we’re not seeing a blowout so far. I am hopeful as hell, but not affording optimism.

• WrenFeathers@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

I’m hoping the same thing. Politics is a complicated game. The first person to say they understand how it all works is the first person I wouldn’t trust to explain any of it to a third grader.

We’re all making best guesses on almost everthing.

• index@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 hours ago

They are already in office, they are the vice president of the united states, the second highest charge in the country

• index@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 hours ago

“The vice president of the United States (VPOTUS) is the second-highest office in the executive branch of the U.S. federal government, after the president of the United States, and ranks first in the presidential line of succession.”

Second highest office

• nyctre@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            31 minutes ago

Second highest office, but with less power than a random senator, as I’ve said. You’ve brought it up by implying that she’s in power now and she’s not doing anything with that power. And I’m telling you and everyone reading that it’s bullshit because despite the name and ranking, she’s powerless. Can’t even vote in the Senate.

• oyo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

She won’t do shit cause she has to get reelected in four years.

• ShareMySims@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

She won’t do shit cause she has to get reelected in four years. like the rest of the democratic party don’t give a shit about Palestinians, nor disturbing the status quo.

FTFY