This is a handheld shot of the moon I took with my new Canon R5. Taken with my older EF 70-200 f\2.8 L with RF adapter.

I really can’t believe this turned out when not using a tripod. I’m digging the in image stabilization that this camera has. I don’t think I’ve ever taken a shot of the moon by hand that turned out and showed lunar details…

• cybertosher
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That is a beautiful photo, and the detail in the moon is amazing for a handheld shot. Well done!

• biffnixOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks! It really surprised me as well. This was taken from the balcony of my son’s apartment in Portland, the evening I first got my Canon R5.

• jgrim of SublinksMA
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s fantastic. I have all DLSRs. I bet there is a huge weight difference so steady hand shots might be easier. That turned out amazing. Love it.

• biffnixOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I must admit, while the R5 w/15-35mm f/2.8 L lens is slightly lighter than my 6D with 24-105mm f/4.0 L lens (1578g vs 1865.4g), they feel about the same to me. So weight isn’t so dramatically different that I notice it as a feature of the R series bodies/lenses.

Perhaps I’ll notice it while backpacking, when every gram counts, but I really can’t tell much of a difference when carrying it on a strap while walking around.

But, the In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) really is very noticeable, especially when using EF lenses like my older 70-200 f/2.8 L with the R5.

• jgrim of SublinksMA
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yes, that sounds nice. But it may not be worth the huge investment to switch from the 5D. I need something that I can take with me that isn’t a phone or point-n-shoot. I’d like to take more photos without taking a heavy kit around.