Greetings dear lemm.ee folks,

I have noticed an increasing number of lemm.ee users dissatisfied with Hexbearians. Reading through the modlogs on hexbear.net, I have observed truckloads of lemm.ee users being banned on hexbear.net, meaning that they won’t see any Hexbearian’s reply to them since Hexbearians aren’t able to see their comments. Despite this, I have yet to see the complaints from lemm.ee die down. May I politely ask, what is it that makes so many lemm.ee users hate us? And, how can we improve? Thanks!

I humbly request that all parties involved in the comments refrain from using slurs or name-calling to reduce the workload on mods and admins.

• peto (he/him)@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Is there any reason to think it isn’t rooted in the difference in political alignment? The very existence of such deep left thought is going to cause a lot of political stress on people not used to having their ideology challenged, be them centrist or even moderately left.

Personally I think it’s healthy to be exposed to it but I think I’m in a minority here.

The war in Ukraine is also likely exasperating things.

• aleph@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Is there any reason to think it isn’t rooted in the difference in political alignment?

Yes, there is. Lemmygrad is politically aligned with HexBear, but receives far fewer complaints from users of other instances. Why?

IMO, it’s because Lemmygrad users usually keep to themselves within the confines of their own instance and generally don’t behave like a gang of drunken hooligans.

Hexbear users on the other hand …

Although I agree that the majority of new Lemmy users are probably not used to political challenges coming from leftfield as opposed to from the right, it seems to me that the core reason why Hexbear users often get under people’s skin to such a degree is their overall behavior, not their political stances per se (as deplorable as they quite often are).

• randint@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

a gang of drunken hooligans

I’m stealing this phrase, thanks.

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’ve been seeing a lot of comment thieves lately lol

Last one I saw was someone elsewhere saying something along the lines of “people’s brains have been beaten into a froth of hate”

• nosurprises@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Is there any reason to think it isn’t rooted in the difference in political alignment?

It’s not about different political views. It’s about aggressive pushing of their views, where for one comment a user can get a full inbox of quite toxic replies. Of course there are toxic people on all instances, but brigading makes it much worse.

• ruckblack@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t use social media to expose myself to rabid, radical political trolls, left or right. You’re welcome to, go head and join their instance. But that wasn’t the vibe on Lemmy before hexbear started federating with people.

It isn’t even about my politics. I can often agree with some of it. But their method is through trolling, dogpiling, and labeling people fascists and racists because they don’t quite 100% agree. Not at all constructive, and in my opinion, healthy for nobody.

• TurtlePower@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They’re not trying to be healthy or constructive. We are witnessing the birth of the alt-left. They are just as fascist as the alt-right.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m fine with deep left thought, problem is they only ever act like auth right, with a different banner

• Spzi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I saw a lot of shit from hexbear, and the issue rarely was political. Plenty of examples in this comment section.