I’m currently struggling to find my home. I have an account here at lemmy.ml, where most of my posts are, and one at kbin.

Why do you think your instance is the place to be?

• SinJab0n@mujico.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I actually made my home in the one hosting a previous reddit community I was fond of, just choose one u like.

• wumpus@latte.isnot.coffee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was told it was better for load balancing if we didn’t all use the same one. So I just looked for one that had easy signups and didn’t seem overeager to block stuff. Apparently, some from this instance come form /r/china. I’m not, but I do drink coffee. Anyway, I think it’s working out so far; better than reddit anyway.

• Sploosh the Water@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Randomly came across mine. Was gunna join a larger instance just for testing, but it was right as the big Reddit rush was happening and my signups kept failing.

So I went with this one.

• ram@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I went with lemmy.ca because I figured it’d put me in proximity to Canadian Political discourse.

• unix_joe@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

SDF has been around since the 1980’s. It is one of the most historically trustworthy institutions on the Internet.

I’ve been an SDF member since 2001.

So it just made sense to use my community’s instance of Lemmy, since I also use their Pixelfed and Mastodon.

• hotdogcostanza@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

lemm.ee said it was newcomer-friendly and I was a newcomer so bingo bango there I went. I suppose I can always join a different instance if I need to but I’m still just getting a grip on this place so I’m good for now.

• dan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Seriously, this. I tried for days to register on Lemmy. One day I was mid-registration and the button was just spinning, doing nothing, so I came over to kbin, registered and started using the site. Lemmy never stopped spinning. No thanks.

• hotdogcostanza@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It was doing the same thing for me but I checked my email and there was a verification, once I completed it my registration went through. It didn’t actually tell me it was sending an email which is probably a flaw but it seems that’s the missing piece.

• TanknSpank@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This was linked on some post about alternatives to that other site I want to stop using. And honestly I’m quite confused on the “it doesn’t matter/it does matter” so I’m just rolling with it and not trying to worry about it.

• sleepyTonia@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I tend to hang in indie game development subreddits and didn’t want to have to deal with confrontational trolls on a regular basis, so programming.dev felt like a relatively safe choice since it’s neither a super large server or a general-purpose one. I just wanna make lil’ games and have little patience for those lacking in empathy and maturity.

• ganksy@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I chose lemmy.world solely on the fact it had a lot of members. Lemmy.ml was a contender too. I just wanted to jump in and check things out. Knowing (slightly)more now, I don’t think it was a bad choice.

• Zifnab25@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not gonna lie. I’ve got multiple accounts across platforms. But yours seems to be responding quickly and the content is solid, so… here I am.

• Z______@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I was a bit confused at the start and in my haste created a few different accounts across kbin, lemmy.world, and Mastodon. Worst case scenario I have backups and I’ll just end up using the instance I prefer the most, the most.

• KiranWells@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Was looking for a furry one, and pawb.social seemed to be well-run (since it was related to a couple of decently-sized Mastodon servers) and was generic enough (and not NSFW focused). There also seemed to be a decent number of technical people there as well (in fact, one of the Mastodon instances is furry.engineer), so it matched up with my other interests as well. I considered lemmyrs.org, but ended up not choosing it.

• User Deleted@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Also better because if the admin bans you, you can find them in person and “discuss” about the ban. (such discussions usually involves fists)

(/s please don’t actually commit a violent act lol)

• MaXsteri@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The instances page on each instance shows the instances that it is federating with, and there’s a section at the bottom which shows if ilthqt instance is blocking any others.

E.g. https://lemm.ee/instances

I don’t know of any way to see if that instance is being blocked by other instances, except to visit the instances page on every instance individually. Which isnt really practical.