• @riodoro1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1310 months ago

Thats just called adulthood in times when working 8 hours a day doesn’t even buy you freedom and comfort.

• @Wrench@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    4210 months ago

Ha. That’s how I was with Saxophone. I was near pro level, and had to decide if I wanted to go to college for music or a more practical major. I chose comp Sci, picked up the guitar, and refused to take lessons or follow any kind of lesson plan for it, because I wanted it to stay “fun”.

20 years later, I suck at guitar and forgot the Saxophone.

• @AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      710 months ago

Pick the sax back up and you’ll be pretty good with about a month of casual practice. I had a similar experience with violin and flute.

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2410 months ago

Before long you meet a violinist who drags you into a competition, and rediscover your love of playing piano just before she leaves forever

At least that’s what I learned from anime

• @lugal@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    810 months ago

That’s why I’m a professional Data Manager and not a Software Developer. I love programming too much to do it 8h a day and so I just do data stuff.

• @niktemadur@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    510 months ago

I’m sure some people are able to keep it fresh.
    It happens in art, where some musicians are able to keep challenging and reinventing themselves. It happens in sports - I’ve read about it in baseball articles - where athletes who maintain a level of excellence beyond their early thirties talk about how they had to find a way to re-motivate themselves.