Assume you’re life-lusted and are willing to abandon every moral you have just to live. Paying for cancer treatment is also worth prison time to you.

Also assume you’ve exhausted all ethical fundraising options, i.e. GoFundMe, loans, etc. and that insurance won’t cover treatment for whatever reason.

• @TheWeirdestCunt@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    739 months ago

I just get treatment because I live in a country that actually provides its citizens with healthcare (even if the Tories want to get rid of that).

• Samus Crankpork
      link
      fedilink
      29 months ago

Is it bad I can’t even tell which commonwealth country you’re talking about?

• Jardthebard
        link
        fedilink
        289 months ago

Do you just call everyone pretentious who says something you don’t like? Lol

• @pinkdrunkenelephants@sopuli.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          9 months ago

He’s misusing the term. What he means is to sound superior, and although I appreciate his spirit – the Europeans and Canadians speaking up are doing so outside of the context of and therefore against the spirit of the question – I think it’s fine, it’s good to have non-Americans with whom to compare responses.

That is the point of the post. There is something very wrong with this country, isn’t there?

I don’t have insurance because it’s too expensive and the thought crossed my mind this morning that something like that could actually happen to me, and if it did, I honestly have no idea what I would do. And then I realize that the society around me would get angry at me and morally condemn me if I did commit a crime to save my own life, and that’s when I finally realized that American morality is a fucking sham. It’s all designed to convince its subjects to accept being enslaved and murdered to keep the system going, and that’s wrong. What good is morality if it only costs you and doesn’t benefit you?

• @wildbus8979@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            9 months ago

If you look at higher education, it’s also designed to convince its subjects that killing abroad for oil and economical interests is moral and good. In 2019 a third of Americans still thought the Iraq war was “worth fighting for”. And you’ll notice the question in the Pew research poll. It isn’t “was it moral” or “is it ok we killed 1~3 million people and destabilized and entire region for economic gain”, just “worth fighting for”.

• @JoBo@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        29 months ago

That’s a bit unfair. This question is pretty much only relevant to USians and USians should be reminded of that at every possible opportunity. We’re trying to help you, man.

• Martin
    link
    fedilink
    529 months ago

I don’t worry about money since the treatment is free and sick people get money from the government during recovery.

• FARTYSHARTBLAST
    link
    fedilink
    259 months ago

Sneak into a country with public healthcare I guess, maybe steal the identity of someone if they won’t treat a stranger.

• @jmcs@discuss.tchncs.de
      link
      fedilink
      39 months ago

Lots of countries’ healthcare will treat you for free as long as you are there. The problem you need to solve is to not get kicked out of the country, so you need to either have a job, be rich, or have a provable reliable income (like a pension) to get a long term visa, or you need to go back to your plan of stealing someone’s identity.

• aard
        link
        fedilink
        59 months ago

I think quite a few countries would see “kicking you out whilst battling cancer” as a human rights violation, and would only kick you out after your treatments.

I was searching for some precedent there - which brought up Bush eliminating cancer treatments for illegal immigrants in 2007. It’s impressive that this war criminal can still disgust me even further.

link
          fedilink
          49 months ago

The thing is that, at least for Americans, their country of origin can treat the cancer as well as any European country, and “I’m too poor to live in my own country” is usually not an accepted reason for immigration or asylum.

There are some countries that have medical treatment visas but those usually require people to pay for the treatment, and while it’s order of magnitude cheaper than US hospitals but for cancer is still not exactly cheap.

link
          fedilink
          39 months ago

Touristic visas only last 90 days. And usually the hospitals will only provide emergency care to tourists. They might be willing to stretch that definition a lot but not to the point of doing things that need to be regularly scheduled.

• @HeckGazer@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    229 months ago

Go to a hospital and get it treated. I assume this is some third world health care bait though, as it’s missing which country the hypothetical is happening in

• ɐɥO
    link
    fedilink
    209 months ago

I would do nothing. Healthcare is free here

• @Bytemeister@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      Ελληνικά
      59 months ago

Yes, but it’s misleading. Most bank robbers get cash from the tellers, and not even all of them. You might clear 10k on a really good score. It’s a lot of risk for little reward. You’d have better success with insurance fraud.

• @noisypine@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    129 months ago

Divorce my wife, quit working and get state funded insurance. We still keep her income and I can get treatment without sinking my entire family. Something something capitalist dystopia.

• @PerogiBoi@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    119 months ago

Create a fake news website and make sure there’s a floating donate button on every page.

Complain about Klaus Schwab and the WEF and talk about eating bugs and not owning anything.

Say the donation is for gods army to take on Bill Gates and his Clinton’s.

Make absolute bank in less than a week. Tried and true. These people aren’t going anywhere so you might as well mine them like the resources they are.

• @ExLisper@linux.community
    link
    fedilink
    English
    109 months ago

I don’t think stealing would be the hard part. Selling the goods would be. To steal large sum I guess I will drive a stolen car through a jewellery store’s window. I believe this had fairly high success rate with Romanian gangs doing this many times in France and getting away with it. To steel a car I would look for someone leaving it running while and getting out to for a moment. I think I would be able to find one in a couple of weeks. Than smash the widow, grab what I can and run. Risky but if I’m dying anyway it would be worth trying. Turning it into cash would be very difficult though.