• darcy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

the article is propaganda btw! many autistic people are still affected by marketing and the like! NO ONE IS IMMUNE

• MonkderZweite@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yes, no one is immune to propaganda in the sense of misinformation.

Ads on the other hand… The often quoted subconscious working of ads just doesn’t work on me: i choose my müesli based on parameters (like texture, taste,…), not on whims! So ads go on one side in, out on the other.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago
          1. The term subconscious is outdated, pre-conscious a better fit.

2. pre- conscuous is a lot less “pre-” for me than for normal functioning people; i know pretty well what goes on there.

when things like taste are influenced by the brand and design of the package.

Brand not at all and müesli goes in a box without label. :-p

Consider this: conscious is not = conscious. Especially in abnormal cases.

• schmorp@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Another side effect of ads: you think you want Muesli for breakfast, not soup or fried egg.

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

You buy your muesli…? You know you can make it cheaply and easily, right?

• Johanno@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Did you make a blind test on your Müsli? Get several different brands and eat them blind.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

There's health a big consideration, since it's something almost daily. So 5-corn with wholewheat flakes and fruit it is. Next convenience store has only one brand of it.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

What "detail". Average 20's to 40's person cares too less for their health and are then suffering and expensive when they get old.

• technologicalcaveman@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Advertisements work opposite for me. If I see an ad, I hate the company. I adamantly will only choose materials based on personal research and the suggestions of my peers. Any suggestion by a corporate entity or otherwise paid method will only serve to brew hate. Beyond that, I will go to just about any means to get rid of ads. I often refuse to deal with a company if their ads show up when I don’t want them to, or if their ad annoys me. There is no good ad.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

only choose materials based on personal research and the suggestions of my peers.

And how do you know what to choose from? Ads.

You may not like it but advertisements work on you. They just need to be more subtle. You are fooling yourself if you think you are immune.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. It's very weird I guess. Ada just name me dislike a brand for trying so hard, or hot trying hard enough. Also mainstream stuff tends to irk me the wrong way

• Razzazzika@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Certainly when I was younger that was absolutely the case. I like to think now that I’m older I’m a little more of a free thinker. But ads? Specifically targeted ads? I don’t stand a chance. If I see a game on sale that I’m mildly interested in or a new D&D source book that sounds cool I will buy it without regard for if I need that money for something else.

• I_Has_A_Hat@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think anyone who grew up heavily using the internet in the 90s/00s is inoculated against ads as a survival mechanism. Back in those days, clicking ANY sort of ad was a good way to get a virus or spyware. I learned to avoid ads at all cost and, to this day, I’m distrustful of any ad I see.

• Dagrothus@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is true even today. Ads are shady af and even the top link on Google is often a literal scam/virus. Ie for years if you looked up the most popular game client for runescape - runelite - the very first link was a fake version that stole your login info. They paid Google and Google said ‘not my problem’. Not to even mention ads on other sites like Facebook. Even in the cases where an ad isnt a blatant scam or virus, ads are inherently dishonest by design and there is no consequence for using them to lie about your product.

• Binthinkin@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Still shady and also useless. I don’t buy shit I see in ads because I don’t let them track me.

It’s better the industry just dies and the people go back to being psychiatrists.

• Jaysyn@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Between not watching TV & the pihole router cleaning our internet feed, I may not be immune to ads, but I sure as fuck don’t see them.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Marketing just isn't adjusted to people with autism because they are only a small part of the population.

They can definitely manipulate you if they so desire.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Have ADHD with an inability to unfocus from being hyperfocused. I hate ads. I go out of my way to block it and if anything slips through, I mute or just simply turn away.

Funny thing is for work, I’m in marketing/advertising.

• Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It's not that propaganda doesn't work on them, I see those types falling for neo-nazi shit all the time because they know how to appeal to them. It's just that they process the world in a fundamentally different way, so a lot of the psychological tricks that propaganda relies on simply doesn't work on them. It's kind of like how the early days of white supremacy had a hard time getting women because all their propaganda played to mysogyny. Once they figured out that they can rewire their hatred of women to be a good thing (the trad wife) that's when they started jumping on board and really driving their influence into the american culture.

• CherryBlossom01@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I'm autistic and I've always felt I had a certain gullibility. If I'm reading an article, and an argument sounds rational. I'm more likely to fall for it. Even if it contains a ton of bad premises. I'd like to think as I've gotten older and more mature, these kinds of things work less on me. But honestly I'm not sure.

• Raven FellBlade@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. Almost every autist I know who has any interest in politics is very strongly leftist. It's the sense of justice and disdain for obvious bullshit, I suspect. At least it is for me.

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Here's the link to the referenced article.

The short of it is that people on the spectrum focus on the details, and ignore 'extraneous' information. The typical emotional appeals–such as the choice of certain fonts, colors, graphics, emotional language, etc., is going to be largely ignored by people on the spectrum, while they focus on the details that are directly relevant to the use of the product.

I've noted this tendency in myself (and yes, I"m on the spectrum).

Obvs. that doesn't mean that all advertising falls flat, just that the kinds of emotional appeals that are more typical in advertisement are going to be less effective.

Oh, and I do block ads across all platforms.

• Lexam@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

If you think marketing doesn’t work on you, then its working.

• Romanmir@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t consider myself immune to ads. I do consider myself to be resistant to manipulation, however.

• intelati@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s more that there’s inertia to my beliefs/thoughts.

Given evidence and time from multiple sources on info I’ll asymptoticly come to the correct conclusion.

I’d like to think I have my weights set correctly for the types of sources…