The assumption that old people are inherently right wing and young people are inherently left wing is just wrong. Correlating age with political beliefs is a fucking pseudoscience, and so is the whole concept of generations like boomers and zoomers. Their marketing terms, the baby boom was a uniquely United States thing and to apply that term to 20 odd years of people from across the world is just factually wrong. We got to stop self identifying with these terms because they are ageist and they divide us and they allow for shitty excuses like “it’s just their generation” to excuse shitty behavior.

What’s the point of this? Stop dunking on old people. Old people aren’t inherently reactionary.

• WithoutFurtherDelay [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Respectfully, when looked up, most experts seem to estimate that people start deteriorating later than that. The earliest I could find was 25 years.

I am not disagreeing with your attempt to categorize everyone above 18-19 as old. That is definitely a subjective category and I can’t argue with that.

What I do disagree with is the idea that anyone above 19 is deteriorating, and on a much larger scale, that those who are old “might as well die”. What difference is there, really, between someone who’s cells are deteriorating and aren’t, except from a medical sense? If the cell deterioration is an inevitable event in anyone’s life, why does it’s start indicate that we might as well end our life, and not the beginning of our life in general? One could plausibly argue we begin to die the moment we are born.

• AlpineSteakHouse [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

What I do disagree with is the idea that anyone above 19 is deteriorating, and on a much larger scale, that those who are old “might as well die”.

It's not a literal physical deterioration but a spiritual and mental one. The human brain develops itself to destruction by 20-22 and after that there is no real reason to continue living. You become old and then your body starts breaking down.

Think about it like this, mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of fungus. Their main job is to spread spores and once they do their"purpose" is fufilled. They still stick around for a bit but they are essentially useless. The human brain does the same thing to the soul around 20 and develops itself out of its purpose. I don't really care that the body lives to deteriorate over the next 50 years, the soul of the person is dead. Any brain development done after 16 is largely self-destructive to the soul of the person. Whether that be metaphysical or literal I don't care.

It's Schizophrenia in the Deleuzian sense. The body develops past the need for a soul and ultimately kills it to enhance its evolutionary suitability. I'd highly recommend you meditate on the difference between the soul, again literal or metaphorical I don't care, and the body as a product of evolution. When you see that the body and the soul are in conflict, you'll start to understand where I'm coming from.