• donuts@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

These days I'd much rather pay 8-bit games on a 65inch 4k tv via HDMI with shadow mask and (light) scanline emulation filters, than over composite video to a small CRT. To reach their own though.

• thepianistfroggollum@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

I'm pretty sure the filters you're talking about are exactly what the converter I'm talking about does, if we're not talking about the same thing (unless you're talking about software filters)

• donuts@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

I use a project called MiSTer for most of my retro needs these days, but there are definitely a bunch of other upscalers and things that can create similar effects.

Generally I find the quality of CRT emulation effects is much better, more accurate and more subtle than they used to be.

Some people swear by real CRTs of course, but getting a good picture out of a good CRT is usually an expensive (or at least time sinking) endeavor. It usually involves RGB modding consoles, or at least getting something like S-Video out. Many of us grew up with composite video, but it's pretty gnarly when you go back to it.