• zombuey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The scariest thing I hear time and time again from Christians is the following.

“I don’t trust people who don’t believe in god because they have no moral compass.”

They say this in such a matter of fact way. Most people have a good understanding of right and wrong without a rule book. For many that “moral compass” is intrinsic, even instinctual. It is an evolved part of humanity that helps us operate within a society. The Christian’s are saying it is a core piece of humanity that they lack and since they model their perception of others after themselves they cannot fathom that concept. They are broken humans who without a ruler/leader would be dangerously unpredictable and violent as they have no system to make good choices. This is why those same people prefer a king.

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

They say all that while being shitty entitled people though. And they justify it by thinking they’re better than everyone else because they’re “godly”

• zombuey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

The worst atrocities in history have been conducted by those who were convinced it was for a righteous cause. The quote goes

“With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.”

― Steven Weinberg

• Chailles@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It also kinda shows they don’t really know nor care what a moral compass even is. It isn’t a magical thing that lets a person know right from wrong, it’s just a set of beliefs to dictate what that person believes is right and wrong. I know what principles guide me and it doesn’t matter whether other people think it’s flawed or inconsiderate, it is exactly what it is, a guide, a compass.

Everyone has one, it just doesn’t necessarily fit within their standards.