(Reminder: if you have shared the original version in a public post with an old version up, replacing it with this one might be more helpful.)

I want to preface, if you see a mistake in the image or have something helpful to add, go right ahead! I still have the layered files for this, so edits can be made very quickly. I chose to handwrite the text to avoid font copyright infringement.

Feel free to share this poster as you wish, especially on Reddit. All I ask is that you respect the license and don’t remove my socials at the bottom. If anyone’s addition is included, I’ll credit them, and if this gets added onto (or translated) by someone else later, they can add their info as well.

I hope someone can find it useful with the subreddit blackouts right around the corner.

I want to thank the Beehaw admins so much for their amazing work!

(Poster edited; I spotted a duplicated word, mrmanager@lemmy.today noted the lack of whitespace; current version is slightly larger and has been spaced out. You can still request the 800x2000 size, but know it is a little squished.)

(Edit 2: Removed defederation part as it’s not really required. The email analogy blackcoffee@beehaw.org suggested has been added, thanks!)

(Edit 3: Here’s another version making the interconnectivity a bit clearer and mentioning some cool-looking reader apps that have been suggested! Also made the image slightly longer for ease of viewing. I might do some small cosmetic changes tomorrow)

(I’ll put out Edit 4 tomorrow, which will include the date the edit was made, will clarify mlem only being available through TestFlight, will mention other Kbin instances, as well as a reminder to confirm emails with any new signup in a timely fashion. Thank you all for the help and tips!)

• @CosmicGiraffe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    4111 months ago

I wouldn’t bother with the concept of de-federation in a beginners guide. One of the most confusing bits of the fediverse to new users is picking a server. For most users, the one they pick doesn’t really matter, but talking about defederation makes it sound like a really important choice.

• @unsunny@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      911 months ago

Edited; the defederation bit probably shouldn’t be the reason why someone picks a server (my original thought was that someone who is LGBTQ probably won’t have to worry about seeing phobic content from another instance, for example), but chances are if the rules make a place inviting to a group, conflicting (or illegal) instances will probably be defederated anyways.

• Lionir [he/him]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1911 months ago

Thank you for your work! I wonder if this could be updated to include join-lemmy since it just points people to kbin.social. That might be confusing if they’re trying to find a Lemmy server or well, simply other instances in general!

• @unsunny@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1111 months ago

Thank you, I didn’t expect this to take off like it did! I explained in another post here why I didn’t name join lemmy for the guide, but the thread is getting pretty long. There are instances listed on there fairly high up with descriptions that suggests the instance hosts and permits illegal content (the instance is not FMHY or related to piracy as I also noted), and I wouldn’t feel good about recommending the website because of that. browse.feddit.de didn’t have anything of that nature on their list as far as I can tell by scrolling for a few minutes, and it also tells you which instance hosts the community.

• @not_a_dog@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1011 months ago

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is Kbin just another Lemmy instance or a whole separate thing entirely?

Thanks for the guide!

• @JohannesOliver@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          811 months ago

That is not a dumb question.

kbin is it’s own thing, originally it couldn’t talk to Lemmy. It can also have its own instances. Today it can talk to Lemmy and Mastodon and should be able to talk to anything else that talks to them. It also has its own communities, and people on Lemmy can access those as if it were another Lemmy instance.

• Pigeon
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

If you mean the instance that promotes itself as NSFW allowed and “shota/loli/cub friendly”, it’s my understanding that fictional drawings of that type are not illegal, at least not in the states (presumably laws vary between countries on this). It’s certainly not something I’d ever want to be within 10 feet of, but there’s an ocean between that and actual child abuse materials (and the instance in question does explicitly ban such materials, per a quote of the rules I saw in another thread about this). I don’t think it necessarily follows that people into the former must also be child abusers, same as I don’t think furries are automatically into beastiality.

But nevertheless I agree it’s… not a good look at all for that to be front and center on the join page. It could have and should have been removed a while ago - it’s been up long enough I believe the Lemmy devs must be aware of it, so I’m suspecting they just don’t care.

I think the join page also made generally offputting by Lemmygrad and arguably even Lemmy.ml, too, frankly, and since those are the lemmy dev’s instances, there’s no fixing that until and unless they end up just outnumbered.

tl;dr: I support you not linking join-lemmy, but I wonder if we have an alternative site that people can use to browse and choose an instance somewhere? If not, could someone make one?

Edit: an alternative would be especially helpful since redditors, lacking a direct link, will inevitably just google “lemmy” and immediately find the join-lemmy page anyway.

• @unsunny@beehaw.orgOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

Thanks for the reply; regardless of whether it’s actually legal wherever a person is/where the server’s hosted (Canada has stricter laws pertaining this type of stuff, not sure if it would cover what’s going on there), it still has a definite ‘ick’ factor I am not comfortable with, and I’m glad to know I’m not alone I’m thinking that! The ideology of the Lemmy devs and the Lemmygrad instance are also highly questionable at best, and while there’s not much we can do to keep the join Lemmy site off of the Google results in the short term, not spreading it further is a good idea.

There’s not another easily accessible mobile-friendly actual directory I know of; I put the browse community page as a next best thing. I think I vaguely recall finding some all-Fediverse-instance site, but that is was very broken, crowded, and unusable on mobile.

I’m not code-savvy at all myself; I’d really love to see another, more filtered directory that would be more appealing to the average person!

• P0wderedtoastman
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1811 months ago

As someone who is brand new here, I agree with the others: the de-federation part confused me. But the email analogy was easier to grasp. Otherwise thank you for this!

• @code@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1511 months ago

Alright so this seems a good a place as any to ask dumb questions… This almost feels like the 90’s and using the internet for the first time 🤣

So, I’m viewing this post on lemmy.world, but the content itself is from beehaw.org, simple enough. What happens if beehaw.org is unavailable, let’s say permanently shut down, right now? Is the past content still available on other instances or does it just poof? Could I still view this post one day, week, month, year after a shut down? Could I still comment? The image itself I see is hosted directly on the beehaw instance so that obviously depends on a stable instance.

• @httpjames@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

If an instance shuts down, they’re supposed to send a “self destruct” notice to all other instances to delete their content, but technically speaking, instances do not have to listen to these notices. Thus, it’s possible that deleted or unavailable content still remains available on some platforms.

• @httpjames@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          211 months ago

Lemmy’s source code shows that user account deletion means the hosted instance will purge and redact all of that user’s content and send a notice to other instances as well, but since it’s federation, nobody is required is to listen to these commands, although the vast majority will.

• @chinpokomon@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            211 months ago

The concern which has been raised about this is also what happens if one of those other instances is down when the purge message goes out. It’s a risk of a federated system like this, that because there isn’t a single source of truth, that instances fall out of sync with each other and content is semi permanent… That’s also one of the strengths of a federated service, so I think that should also help foster a better community.

• @the_kgb@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

so you’re saying that even if a post started on a specific instance (like beehaw, for example), and then got deleted from the main source, other instances would still be able to see it? kind of like the light from a supernova reaching us a million light years away?

• @Kory@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1311 months ago

It’s great. I agree with the removal of de-federation, I don’t see how that’s important at this stage. And since you mention kbin.social, why not also point people to https://join-lemmy.org/?

• @unsunny@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1211 months ago

I will be removing the de-federation part and putting the email analogy in its place, I agree it isn’t really important enough to note. The reason I don’t add the join lemmy site is that they list at least one instance that seems to invite illegal activity/content, and that didn’t take long to find in the directory, so I feel it would be irresponsible to mention it. I scrolled through browse.feddit.de for a few minutes and couldn’t find anything that obvious, so I added that one. It says where a community is hosted, too, so that might help someone!

• @SmugBedBug@lemmy.iswhereits.at
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1111 months ago

Really like it, sadly I don’t think the people I’d share it with would be willing to read through it. I’ll try with word of mouth for now and use this as a backup.

• EamonnMR
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1011 months ago

Important note for kbin (and fedia.io): if you sign up and fail to click that confirmation link, I think you’re basically SOL. So don’t make the same mistake I made! Click that confirmation link, it expires in an hour!

• @unsunny@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

Darn, but thanks for the note. I’ll put a reminder to confirm emails on tomorrow’s edit, even for Lemmy; since email is used to recover passwords, no email + lost password = lost account, and that’s not fun!

• EamonnMR
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

You’re still able to recover your password, you just still can’t log in afterwards

• @itty53@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        611 months ago

Kbin, Mastodon, Lemmy, and others are all “federated apps” connected to ActivityPub. They are just different UIs to connect to it, so you can see posts and content from one on the others.

Mastodon is a UI inspired by Twitter.

Lemmy is a UI inspired by reddit. It is more stable but less feature rich. You can get native apps just like with reddit, such as Jerboa (similar to rif).

Kbin is a UI inspired by reddit. It is more feature rich and less stable (said to be, anyway).

They are all speaking the same protocol though. So while you can load Mastodon posts in this Lemmy ui they might look … off. Similarly you can load things in Mastodon from kbin etc and they too might seem weird. It’s because they’re not giving the same context you might get viewing that content in the UI it was made for.

These are all still new with Mastodon being the one most widely adopted already. So expect better features and bug fixes to roll out over time. Especially with so much more demand now, I’m guessing many old 3PA devs have already been working out new tricks for ActivityPub.

• Gordon_Freeman
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1011 months ago

I did’t knew I could use a mastodon accout and created a new one here on Kbin. I’ll like to know more about that, if it’s possible (yet, I know I can use my mastodon account to subscribe to content from other platforms and see it on my mastodon’s activity feed)

• e l f
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 months ago

Absolutely! I feel like it sums everything important up cleanly and easily digestible.

• @BobQuasit@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    911 months ago

Very nice! Perhaps it would be a good idea to spell out that you can subscribe to any community in the Fediverse no matter what part of it you signed up on, kbin or any instance of Lemmy?

I know that’s not absolutely accurate, but it’s close enough.

• @unsunny@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      711 months ago

Good point! I won’t be able to edit for a few hours, but in terms of it not always being accurate it is definitely possible in the vast majority of cases.

• @Harmageddon@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    911 months ago

I’m having a hard time figuring out how to subscribe to a community from another instance. I know I need a link to the community (not sure what this looks like as the one I thought I’d found didn’t work) and a search bar to paste it in, which I found once on jerboa I think but not again. Is there a more detailed guide for subscribing to another instance’s community?

• @4th_Times_A_Charm@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

You should just be able to search for the community using jerboas search. Example: I searched “technology” and it gave me back a handful of different communities from different instances all with “technology” in the name. Then you should be able to just tap the one you want and hit subscribe.

• @Ryumast3r@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

Jervoa has so far been a really good interface to use. A lot of work can be done to make it more friendly but I’ve been really impressed so far with how seamless it’s made my transition.